• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Bone meal in bone broth?

I have found that if I boil my chicken bones with added cider winegar, the bones become soft and I can crush them in a blender together with the other ingredients in the water.

Are there any bad health risks regarding consuming that, or could it be a healthy supplement?

I think it depends on the chickens. If the chickens are organic, free range etc... then doing what you're doing is actually very beneficial.

Read this: Bone Broth and Lead Contamination: A Very Flawed Study in Medical Hypotheses

It could be dangerous if you drink bone broth every day over a long term period, especially with leaky gut; but that study pointed out by wildbill_52280 is not a good study in itself. I think at this point, more studies are definitely needed.

Some concerning comments from https://chriskresser.com/bone-broth-and-lead-toxicity-should-you-be-concerned/

Helen
APRIL 6, 2017 AT 12:04 AM

PLEASE READ THIS: I became very sick consuming 3 glasses of bone broth per day for around a year. Not just physically sick but terrible depression, anxiety, suicidal thoughts since I couldn’t go on this way. I stopped bone broth, and got better overnight. Interestingly though, I had a hair tissue analysis, and the results showed tin which was off the chart and copper toxicity which was 75% as high as the tin, not lead. Please note that I cant give any advice as I’m not a health professional – just warn of my own experience, which has significantly damaged my life. e.g. couldnt work and am now unemployed, tried to plead with my doctor who thinks I must have psych problems since its not something he recognises.
Stephanie Walker
SEPTEMBER 10, 2015 AT 11:20 AM

I had a hair mineral analysis test done before/after I started consuming organic, pastured chicken bone broth. Before, my lead levels were .1. After 3 months of consuming about one cup a day of homemade bone broth from organic, pastured chickens, my lead levels have increased to .3. They are now on the border of what is considered “acceptable”. I am one of those people who do currently have low calcium and iron so that explains why I am accumulating lead. Never the less, I am cutting back on the bone broth for now.
----- -----

From the comments section of the first link: https://www.westonaprice.org/health...on-a-very-flawed-study-in-medical-hypotheses/

joanna says
January 6, 2014 at 1:59 pm
My 2 children were on GAPS for 1.5 years consuming lots of broths to help with healing. They were randomly tested for lead by their pediatricians and came back with very high blood levels. No other source of lead was found. They had allergies and reflux. My husband and I feel it was the broth. Their levels were low before broths were fed. It has been devastating for what their future holds. Not all medical information should be discredited. Our children have suffered more so following the principals of you organization than before when we were following a healthy organic diet. My youngest was severely deficient in iron and B vitamins while on your homemade goat formula.Yes iron and the yeast is absolutely necessary when supplementing. The iron in breastmilk is NOT the same as the iron in cows milk based on research. And no your formula is not as good as breastmilk. I learned that the hard way when I struggled to breastfeed my infant. Yes commercial formula is not good but your formula can be just as harmful when it is nutritionally inadequate. Low iron in infancy has detrimental effects later on. My oldest daughter had beautiful hair though drinking commercial formula and ironically my youngest had bald patches from vitamin deficiency while on the Weston price formula.
Susan Pitcairn says
February 19, 2016 at 12:37 pm
Adding to my other comment, I was just talking with our roommate about this. She had lead testing, it turns out, before and after doing a treatment program for her health issues, a program that included a lot of bone broth. Her lead levels went up and no explanation was given by her practitioner other than maybe it came from the pots! Clearly, this is an important issue that should not be ignored. Maybe it was once of benefit (and maybe vegetable broth would be equally so…), but now it is suspect.Fia
I would also suggest that we should really start looking into heavy metal contamination in organic foods as well. After all, many organic fertilizers rely on slaughterhouse wastes and toxins concentrate up the food chain. Levels of mercury in cats that eat a lot of seafood is five times the level in humans. A long time ago, we used to recommend bonemeal as a supplement in pet foods, then made by Schiff. Then it became unavailable, due to lead in bones. As I recall, there were still some bone meal tabs available from foreign sources.

Ok!
Then I need to stop eating the bones, but what about the cartilages? Do they also contain a lot of lead, or will it be ok to crush them in a blender and drink?

Last edited:
Ok!
Then I need to stop eating the bones, but what about the cartilages? Do they also contain a lot of lead, or will it be ok to crush them in a blender and drink?
I encourage you to pursue other ways of improving the functioning of your body or health, that don't include some fascination with bones and cartilage. Which by the way is an aweful social trend/fad probably in an effort to sell you stuff you don't need, like Dr. Axe bone broth bullshit protein powder, excuse my cursing but, I've seen enough Bullshit scams on the internet and decades ago i fell for them.

This is why I eventually became passionate about critical thinking skills and science, because it is about the pursuit of the truth, reliable knowledge and avoiding deception. I carefully think about the knowledge claims i come across and sometimes for years as i collect information from my own experience and reading trusted sources and all sources really.

Animals foods provide minimal health benefits as most studies have shown, plant foods will provide more benefits. Historically bones have likely been thrown away and not dissolved or put in a blender, blenders didn't exist 10,000 years ago or concentrated in a soup.

Here are some things that have helped me over the years. http://www.crohnsforum.com/showpost.php?p=982318&postcount=5

Last edited: