• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Bowel movements change from solid to liquid from day to day

I am slowly recovering from a severe Crohn's Colitis flareup.

The only medication I am currently taking 15 Mg of Prednisone (down from 40 Milligrams) a day and am eating a Carnivore diet with no fiber but I HAVE been eating some ice cream for emotional eating.

For some reason, I still have to strain to eliminate and during one day, I can have four movements with loose, fatty stools and three movements with solid, normal stools.

Its a little confusing because while you are taking Prednisone (and tapering off of it) you can get constipation or diarrhea, abdominal bloating, distension and pain in the lower right quadrant which can almost mimic Appendix problems.

I was Vegan for nearly three years and consumed a lot of fiber and anti-nutrients which I know is the main cause of my flareup.

So all of that aside, do any of you have on and off solid and liquid elimination even if you are getting a little better?

Thanks for your help.

The only medication I am currently taking 15 Mg of Prednisone (down from 40 Milligrams) a day and am eating a Carnivore diet with no fiber but I HAVE been eating some ice cream for emotional eating.

For some reason, I still have to strain to eliminate and during one day, I can have four movements with loose, fatty stools and three movements with solid, normal stools.

Carnivore diet? That sounds like a terrible idea and is probably part of your issue. I would urge you to cut back on eating meat and have a more balanced diet. It is also why you probably have fatty stools.

The other part of your issue is your medication. It is not uncommon when you taper from prednisone that your symptoms gradually start to reappear again. Therefore, are you on any maintenance medication? If not, then your symptoms are guaranteed to come back.

I agree! A balanced diet is the way to go. Not sure where you got your facts that we should be eating mainly carnivore diet. In fact, less meat is better. Meat, especially red meat, is harder to digest. Balance is always best.

Carnivore diet? That sounds like a terrible idea and is probably part of your issue. I would urge you to cut back on eating meat and have a more balanced diet. It is also why you probably have fatty stools.

The other part of your issue is your medication. It is not uncommon when you taper from prednisone that your symptoms gradually start to reappear again. Therefore, are you on any maintenance medication? If not, then your symptoms are guaranteed to come back.
I know that the TNF drugs save lives, but I will only get the Entyvio therapy if my back is against the wall;That I am at death's door.

The body has a natural inflammatory response which given time and the correct support allows the body (and mind) to heal.

From what I have researched (including the anecdotal evidence from people who've benefited from a no-fiber, no carb diet) is that it is extremely anti-inflammatory;I have been getting the proteins and fats needed for repair, maintenance and detoxification support.

Every single plant (to varying degrees) has anti-nutrients which believe it or not include causing digestion problems and inflammation of the epithelial tissue lining the GI tract.

Thanks very much for your feedback.

From what I have researched (including the anecdotal evidence from people who've benefited from a no-fiber, no carb diet) is that it is extremely anti-inflammatory;I have been getting the proteins and fats needed for repair, maintenance and detoxification support.

Every single plant (to varying degrees) has anti-nutrients which believe it or not include causing digestion problems and inflammation of the epithelial tissue lining the GI tract.
I am glad I am able to help you, but I think you are being mislead. You may be getting proteins and fats you need, but that does not mean eating entirely meat is good for you in the long run. It can lead to all sorts of trouble ranging from heart disease to possible cancers.

Also, I always thought that eating meat causes inflammation to become worse.

Sorry if I sound bad, but I am just trying to help.

Again I am in total agreement with awoenker12. Meat is considered an inflammatory food. Eating lots of meat will increase chances of cancer, high cholesterol, heart problems, etc. Humans have a long digestive tract and really it takes meat a long time to get through that long digestive tract, so it harder to digest, making your body work harder.

Yes when our bodies are functioning properly, our immune systems can take care of a lot of problems, but people who have auto immune diseases, this isn't happening, and that's why help is needed - be it with medications, or specific balanced diets, and/or both.

It can be confusing choosing what diet is best. You can read about many diets and all of them sound like the ticket. I believe a balanced diet - meaning fruits, vegetables, whole grains, good protein (not red meat); good quality supplements like Curcurmin; fish oil; probiotic - would be probably a better idea than just a carnivore diet.

Bufford

I would try a more varied diet by adding fruits such as bananas, pears and mellon that are less fibrous and easier to digest for desserts. Cook up some carrots so that they are soft to have with the meat.

We are omnivores meaning we need a mixed diet that contains both meat and plants. Also try hard cheeses and yogurt.
Juices such as apple juice and cranberry are also very good.
Welcome to the forum.

You don't want to overdo the fiber, but as others have said, you don't want to eat strictly meat, either. The meat you do eat should be mostly poultry and fish. My doctors have told me to eat no more than 1 or 2 servings of red meat per month.

I've learned that I can't eat any fresh vegetables. They send me to the bathroom within an hour of eating. I've substituted canned fruits since they don't seem to be as potent. The same is true for me with some canned vegetables. If you are able to eat nuts, be sure to chew them very well before swallowing.

There's a lot of trial and error in figuring out a diet that works for you, as no two people are the same.

I would add lot more fully cooked veggies, soft enough to cut with a fork. Cut out all foods with any sort of preservatives (they’re in many prepared foods, but not all) - they’re designed to kill fungi and bacteria which disrupts our microbiome even further.

Try adding in Sunfiber and stop any other fiber if you take any. it has helped me tremendously! If you do get it, start with a 1/8th dose and work your way up. It’s more of a prebiotic, so it will nourish your gut bacteria back to health.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PFXPB38/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also, maybe try adding a touch of curcumin to the mix.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A39MPNI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Good luck!

All that sugar will make things worse, and you definitely need fiber, the good bacteria in your gut want this stuff to make butyric acid, which is an anti inflammatory compound. If you want something sweet try whole fruits or high fiber cookies.

only issue with a vegan diet is lack of taurine and omega 3 fats like dha and epa from meat especially from fish which is highest in both of these. Red meat is what you want to avoid, neu5gc and heme iron is not so great for human body, it increases it.