• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Bowel Prep - ACK!

Hi,

I know this has probably been asked countless times on this site but here it goes anyway. So I am having a colonoscopy tomorrow and in process of "prepping" my bowel....more like "pi*#ing off" my bowel. I took 2 Dulcolax last night. I am still having watery BM this afternoon (every hour). Is that normal? I am also getting globs of mucus in there...is that normal too? I haven't even started the main course of Golytely. Looks like I won't need too much of that to polish off the prep. Scope is to check for Crohns - I had a dx 2.5 years ago, but seeing a new GI and getting another opinion.

Thanks in advance.

:poo:

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Sorry for the late response but how did the scope go?

With the prep once you're running clear (output is the same color as input) then you're pretty much done. Mucus can be a sign of inflammation or could also be from bacteria overgrowth. I'm sure your scope results will let you know which.

Hope it went well. Keep us posted. :)

Hi,

Thanks for asking,

Ended up chasing the Dulcolax with the Golytley - wasn't so bad - chilled it. Swigged some Ginger Ale after each dose - only did 1.5L of the 4L. Scope went fine...apparently I was cleaned out great. LOL. They said they were giving me drugs but I was awake and felt everything (sometimes quite painful actually). That being said, when it was over, I was up and going right away since I had not drug side effects. Pipes were clear...YAY. :thumleft:

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
For the next one in the future, assuming you don't like being awake, you could let the nurse and GI know that what was used the last time didn't work and that you may need a higher dose. I have them make sure I'm completely out of it before they begin because when you have one bad experience, you don't want that repeated.

I have not had a colonoscopy since 8 years ago, but I have had many upper scopes. I know that when I was at mayo clinic before I had the upper scope( they were going to take several biposies), they used two drugs to knock me out, I think versed and also propafol( not sure if I speled that right). But I was out like a light, did not remember a thing! It worked so good I had no memory of that entire day!! So maybe next time you can ask for maybe a stronger med or something. You can guarentee when I have my colonoscopy I am asking to be knocked out good.