• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Bowel prep side effects too much!

I took my bowel prep 2 hours ago. I was given Suprep, and it took me 20 mins to drink the 16oz mixture. Every few gulps I would gag and choke. I was supposed to drink another 32oz of any liquid within an hour of taking the prep, which I couldn't do because the nausea was so HORRIFIC every time I took a sip of water/ginger ale/apple juice I felt everything start coming back UP...which is the wrong way!!!

My nurse told me to keep it down or they'd be forced to reschedule. And I'm not going through this a second time. They're doing the colonoscopy tomorrow to check for stomach conditions. I have symptoms all over the board I'm told, so I'm hoping the test comes up with something.

The nausea is so bad that I don't think I can drink the second prep tonight. I will not be able to keep it down. My stomach is always more uneasy in the evening already, I know it won't handle this drink. If everything is coming out clear (tmi) before that second drink tonight, am I safe skipping it? That means my system is cleaned out right? I've been eating very very light, close to fasting, for 3 days now in prep. I'm thinking I'll clean out fairly quickly.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Hi, welcome to the forum. Yes, if you're going clear then you should be okay to stop drinking the prep (specks are okay, a yellowish color of liquid coming out of you is okay, but any chunks means you have to keep going). I do encourage you to keep attempting to drink other clear fluids, because you really don't want to get dehydrated. And also keep in mind, that you might have 1 or 2 "clear" bowel movements, but then start passing stool again, so do be prepared that you might have to attempt drinking more of the prep.

I'm sorry - I know it's miserable to drink horrible laxative when you're already nauseated. I had that experience with a different prep called Prepopik, it didn't taste awful but it made me SO nauseous. Just remember, it's just one night - after the scope you hopefully won't have to go through this again for a long while. Do something nice for yourself to take your mind off the nausea - watch a favorite movie, paint your toenails, something easy that you can do from the bathroom. Last time I did prep, I treated it like a spa day - I did a mud masque on my face, gave myself a pedicure, and had a nice bubble bath in between potty trips. It was nice to be able to pamper and distract myself a bit in the midst of a very yucky day!