• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Bowel problems

hi my daughter has been suffering for the last year with what we and the doctors thought was i.b.s. but none of the usual meds the doctor has recommended have worked.unfortunately her symptoms have taken a turn for the worse and as well as serious painful stomach cramps and constant diarrhoea there is now a lot of blood also,we have been advised to bring her for a colonoscopy urgently any advice would be welcome.thanks

scottsma

Hello and welcome,sorry you have to be here though.I think further tests are definately needed.There are a few, and a colonoscopy is one to start with.It will enable the doctor to see if there is any inflammation in the colon and also to take biopsies should he deem it necessary.It's not too bad a test, and you can get Information online and on this forum.
I think she really should go ahead if only to tell you once and for all what's going on.Blood needs to be investigated.Best wishes

Hi alant,

Firstly I want to say I'm sorry to hear about your daughter. And I hope things improve for her soon.

I 100% agree with scottsma, and the colonoscopy could bring you all some answers.
The test itself is not too bad. The prep (and not being able to eat) is the hardest part. But in my experience it has all gone very well and was definitely needed.

Good luck!

hi thanks very much for your help the waiting time is mad for the colonoscopy. we are think of going private the waiting time is to long in hospital does anybody have and private clinic the can recommend thanks

scottsma

I can't help there, but I understand why you would want to go private.The waiting is stressful,especially when waiting for a diagnosis.You want your daughter to be well as quickly as possible.Please keep us up dated as your situation will be of help to others having the same problem. I hope things go as you want them to.

hi my daughter has be diagnosed with colitis and psc she has being given treatment of asacolon twice aday and day ursofalk twice a day she has being on the meds for 3 weeks now and still has diarrhea and in pain sometimes does it take a while for the meds to work. going to go back to doctor to see why. and help on this would be great thanks

Last edited: