• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Bowel removal....

Hey guys,

So im due into hosp in 2weeks to speak with the Consultant,IBD nurse and hopefully Surgeon about my impending bowel removal op and stoma...

I have been on here and spoke with a few of you about what to expect and have got my head mentally ready,

What i really want to ask is roughly how long in worst case senario i will be out of action for...Whats left of my large bowel(colon)will be removed resulting in stoma,anal passage rectum etc removed.What really has be miffed is im a keen mountain biker and want to know how long i can expect to be unable to exercise get out on my bike etc...

many thanks

Craig

Hi Craig,

Everyone's different n there recovery, I had my surgery to remove large colon bowel, n now have to wear a bag for life, but it took me 4 months to learn how to go up n down the stairs so not so sure on a bike your best bet is asking your stoma nurse.

Sandi.

thanks Joan....I'm more scunnered that i cant ride my bike than sh** running down my leg from my bag lol

Thanks Sandi,sounds like same op so i have kinda gave myself 4-5 months,plus i have a holiday to Portugal in July so be tight i think

Hi Craig,

It will be tight but just remember before you fly if you have your stoma bags you need permission from the airline to allow hem to fly in cabin with you sounds mad I know but I was told that too hehe.

Sandi

Hi Craig,

It will be tight but just remember before you fly if you have your stoma bags you need permission from the airline to allow hem to fly in cabin with you sounds mad I know but I was told that too hehe.

Sandi
I've never heard that. That's crazy!!

Me either 2thfairy until I booked my holiday to America was in shock but I think it has more to do with the fact I have to carry scissors with me.

Okay...the scissors makes more sense. It really sucks that security to fly is in such a state that every medical supply is scrutinized.

Susan2 and Misty-Eyed can probably give you an idea on recovery times, Craig. They've both had proctocolectomy.

Hello... yeah recovery times vary depending on how well you want to be recovered. Are you having the operation as key hole surgery? That helps as it means you only have tiny little scars and no large wound down your stomach to contend with.

In regards to my healing (I had mine done via keyhole), I went home from the hospital on day 6, although it would of been earlier had I been able to pee when they took out my catheter! I think was off work for a total of 5 weeks from my op date, but then I worked a few hours from home and then built up my hours slowly at work. I felt pretty rough for about 6 weeks and thought the recovery was going to be longggg. But then one day I suddenly felt loads better and didn't look back from there.

After that I remember for sure being back at work full time after Christmas.. my op was on the 7th October. I do remember not going out drinking for someone's birthday jsut before Christmas though as I knew I wouldn't be able to handle standing up for more than 10 mins. It did take a long time for me to be able to walk around or stand for more than half an hour without feeling really uncomfortable. Maybe 6 months? So I think riding your bike will probably depend on how comfortable your bike seat is ;)

I hope it goes well!

My proctocolectomy was very different from Michelle's. I had extensive damage from the Crohn's around the anal and rectal area (I had probably left it too long to have the job done), so I had open surgery and a very large amount removed at the bottom end. It took me seven months or so before I could do anything much and, even then, my rear end was painful.

So recovery time depends on many factors. How much they have to remove, how good the surrounding area is, whether or not you get any infection...

On the infection side, my surgeon and district nurses were always amazed that I had no infection during my recovery period and they put it down to the fact that we used one of the alginate (seaweed) dressings.

July might be stretching it for a holiday in Portugal, but it depends on what you were planning on doing there, as well as how you are recovering.

Hi Craig,

Sandi
I have flown overseas a large number of times and have never heard of this. I use precut bags, but always have a small pair of scissors and a pocket knife, which I pack in my checked in luggage

annawato

Staff member
Craig, I've only had resections and ileostomys so can't help with your op but wanted to wish you all the best. i imagine you're pretty fit from all your bike riding so that will be in your favour with recovery. Recovery can also be slowed if you've been on prednisone for a long time as it impairs wound healing.

annawato

Staff member
Michelle, I'm amazed you were able to have it done by keyhole surgery! You must have a fantastic surgeon. Mine seem to open me up at the drop of a hat. Next time I'm going to ask about keyhole!

Nyx

Hi Craig,

Sandi
I've never had a problem on a plane, or had to get permission and I fly about 10 times a year.

Michelle, I'm amazed you were able to have it done by keyhole surgery! You must have a fantastic surgeon. Mine seem to open me up at the drop of a hat. Next time I'm going to ask about keyhole!
Yes I am very lucky as he is amazing. They took all of my colon at my rear end too.. so my stomach actually looks unblemished minus my stoma, obviously. I would definitely ask but I don't think they tend to do it when you've had more surgeries due to the scar tissue formation :( I was lucky as I'd not had any surgery beforehand.

Also, I forgot to say! I went on holiday at the end of Jan to Cyprus with no problems! I also didn't have any problems with flying. But one major hint... really shop around with your travel insurance. Due to my crohn's and the fact that I'd had surgery so recently, my quotes varied from £36-£280. The ileostomy association has a list of insurers that you may want to try or I can try and dig out the ones I always use that are really good. The best ones are the ones where a nurse will call you back as they understand your problems better than a questionnaire!

Also, I forgot to say! I went on holiday at the end of Jan to Cyprus with no problems! I also didn't have any problems with flying. But one major hint... really shop around with your travel insurance. Due to my crohn's and the fact that I'd had surgery so recently, my quotes varied from £36-£280. The ileostomy association has a list of insurers that you may want to try or I can try and dig out the ones I always use that are really good. The best ones are the ones where a nurse will call you back as they understand your problems better than a questionnaire!
Hi Misty-eyed, is it possible to message me with the insurers you use please as I'm due to fly this year thanks

Sandi.

hey guys...thanks for all the support and good wishes...
basically i wont know the extent of the op until next week but i am a little distressed at the thought of not getting my holiday,dont plan on doing much on holiday,just the usual sitting about the pool and walks about(if capable)
i must admit my last op was double resection and was open surgery and healed quick enough that time but just because of the rectum removal thing i thought i would take longer to get back on my feet.
basically if i speak to the powers that be next week hopefully they will get me in quite quick and can tell me whether or not i will need to cancel my hols or be good to go...
its not the end of the world if i cant go but would be a shame on my family if they missed out....
they have mentioned keyhole surgery and the surgeon is a good one so might get away with it,just puzzles me how they manage to do all that work with little room but they know best....
as for biking i might not need my saddle after all haha just become a giant lollypop :)

will keep you all posted as soon as i know my fate....

love to all

Craig

Its good to make people giggle :) ....you need a good sense of humour with this shitty disease.....and i have that in abundance...

Its good to make people giggle :) ....you need a good sense of humour with this shitty disease.....and i have that in abundance...
You nailed it with that line.

Good luck with your surgery. I don't think I could add anything to whats already been posted here.

Hi Craig,

I found this thread and just wanted to offer you my support too. I am going to be having exactly the same procedure as you within next few weeks (date to be set). Like you, I have a holiday booked and am anxious about recovery time - though I'm not flying, just a 2 hr car journey. I would however like to be able to play golf at this time. I have heard that the wound around the back passage can be the difficult bit. I'm having keyhole surgery.

Feel free to contact me if you like, perhaps we can go through this process together.

Cheers,
Dave

Hi Dave

That's my major worry,the healing of the tail pipe...as i enjoy mountain biking im pretty miffed that i'll miss most of the summer biking but then again we had one of the worst summers last year....
I can totally understand your anxiousness,hopefully we get through it at the other end(pardon the pun) with flying colours and get our hols and get to partake in the sport we love,im not a keen golfer but hopefully when im in a better state then i might try a wee round of golf,just dont fancy nipping into the bunker on the 9th and having to drop my kegs when i need an emergency exit...where as mountain biking ye just jump off yer bike in the woods and heyhoo away ye go,not called the call of nature for nothing :)

I will get in contact no probs mate,be good to hear from someone going through the same shit....only along the road as well in glasgow...

Hopefully i get a definitive date next week as im getting low on time to recover...

Cheers

Craig