• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Bowel Resection Questions

Hi guys! I am going to see a surgeon on Tuesday (27th) for bowel resection in the terminal ileum. I am just curious of what to expect with this surgery. I am pretty sure that since I have had many other abdominal surgeries, I will not be a candidate for laparoscopy. I am wondering if they do a colonoscopy before the procedure to make sure they know what they are taking out, etc. I haven't had a colonoscopy since December 2009 and since that time have been on Cimzia, Humira and Entocort. The CT scan that I had done recently did still reveal bowel wall thickening in the terminal ileum, so that is why I'm being referred to a surgeon...I'm just curious how the surgeon knows what areas to take out and will there be other areas (I had some ulcerations in the transverse colon and cecum on my last colonoscopy). Just curious what others experiences were.

Thanks!

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Hi Codebrown. I have had two, and you are right usually second or more have the full surgery. I did not have a colonoscopy just prior. But all doctors are different. Most times when they are in there they search & rescue so to speak and see how much is visiable, best way to see it. Just from my experiences anyways.

As your surgeon if they do epidurals during surgery so when you come too you should not be in pain. If not find out how they control it. Will he use penrose tubes? Mine did and it was to drain any puss or infection. How long will your stay be and will they IV with antibiotics prior? Just a few questions. Let us know how your appt goes! Good luck!

I just had my surgery on May 18th. I am still healing as I had an infection. Prior to the surgery the doc ordered an upper GI series. Then when they opened me up they did a visual inspection of all of my bowels.

Hey,
when you guys say usually 2nd they do open... do you mean after two or on number 2? Do they still do open if the first was just exploratory laporoscopy?

CodeBrown,
Dont really have much to add other than I hope your appointment goes well and that this will be your last. Let us know what happens !
Wendy

I just had my first op a few months back to take out the terminal ileum and it was open surgery they did an on table colonoscopy before the surgery which I was knocked out for thank god! (about to have open surgery but im more worried about being awake for a colonoscopy lol)

Them doing this just before was an advantage because I was asleep HOWEVER the biggest problem was they wouldn't know how bad things were inside so it could've been from the smallest amount taken out to the whole colon and having a stoma.
I guess I was happy with things this way because if I had to have a stoma rather than dwelling on something that was beyond my control just see what fate decides and luckily it was just the smallest amount.
Is your colonoscopy going to be on table or a few days before the procedure??

Like Pen said Pain Control is definitely something to ask about!!lol I had an epidural and this is a great form of control but the 12 hours prior to coming off it was a killer for me, and that was basically my only bad time whilst in hospital, keep us updated :)

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Hey,
when you guys say usually 2nd they do open... do you mean after two or on number 2? Do they still do open if the first was just exploratory laporoscopy?
Wendy
Usually most cases are on the second surgery. Reasons are scar tissue, and stitches.. Not everyone though. I was in a meeting with the top teaching Doctor in the North. He says most times the second or multiple surgeries are laproscopic. If they had laproscopic first time and no scar tissue some times it can be done again. At the surgeons discretion.

Thanks for your replies! I do not know if they are even going to do a colonoscopy...I hope so, since it has been since December 2009 since I've had one. I am sure there is something going on in the colon area...at the time of colonoscopy, there were two large ulcers in the transverse colon...and I am now having pain on the left side with mucus and some blood on the stool (sorry if too graphic). I was just wondering how they would check everything out to make sure they got it all.

I have had a total abdominal hysterectomy...I'm pretty sure there will be too much scar tissue to do a lap surgery.

I am definitely with you guys on the epidural pain control....I had that with my hysterectomy. The first time I had my surgery (they only removed the ovaries), I had a PCA pump...it sucked! When they had to open me up and remove the ovaries and do a bowel resection (my ovaries wrapped around my bowels), I had the epidural...AMAZING! Will never do major surgery without an epidural again! :eek:

How long did you guys have to stay in the hospital?

I just had surgery to remove a small part of my small intestine. My intestine ruptured and had to do emergency surgery. I have about a 8-9 inch incision from my waist to the top of my stomach. I was also given a temporary ostomy. I was somewhat sore but never in pain I didnt think. I also only took the dilauted for the first day and decided against anymore pain killers as it wasn't that bad and I have never liked the idea of narcotics much. The most pain I had was the removal of the JP drains about two weeks after surgery. I personally didnt find it to be that big of a deal other than it definately makes you housebound for quite a while.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Roo had open surgery and was in hospital for 6 days, including the day she was discharged. Her surgery was an emergency but I think most stays would be around 5 days as they won't discharge you, if everything is progressing well, until you have had a bowel motion. Most people seem to go around day 4-5.

Dusty

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
How long did you guys have to stay in the hospital?
My first surgery, 1 week prior with Cipro and Flagyl and a week after with the same IV antibiotics and then Entcort for 7 years. The best 7 years I ever had. But then I put it on the back burner....huge mistake. :(

I had my terminal ileum removed and things you should expect, um, well if you've had other surgery's before it should be the same. I had a open surgery so the surgeon could check out all of my bowels so healing was probably a bit harder then a laparoscopy. Like Claire said pain management is the most important thing. When they ask how the pain is always say it's a bit worse then it is cause I got shafted pretty hard and had to suffer because of it.