• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Brain fog ?

Well I have been suffering pretty badly with fatigue and have noticed a substantial amount of brain fog..Very forgetful, difficulty writing, disorientation, confusion , misplacing things...... Anyways dos anyone else suffer from this ? from what i am reading we can also have inflammation of the brain...

theOcean

I would be more suspect of low iron/hemoglobin levels causing fatigue. Have you gotten your blood checked recently? It sounds like it's a good idea to contact your doctor regardless. :(

I am in process of a bunch of tests....

apparently this is also suspected...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ankylosing_spondylitis

in the past blood work I have come out extremely well and still had fatigue... but not like this.....so anything is possible..but my own personal suspicion is I have immune related inflammation causing the fatigue....I feel like the day before I come down with a flu.....I woke up this morning to severe chills.....but no fever... wrapped myself in jackets and blankets and still shivered for 10 minutes..took 20 minutes to feel warm...... By nature I am a hot person capable of withstanding cold with no issues ..Just yesterday I was suntanning in 48F weather shirtless and was actually hot and sweating..... IT WAS WONDERFUL, First time I felt sun on my skin in 170 days..:ycool:.

But yet when this feeling hits me I will shiver inside violently...almost nothing I do can make it go away, I pretty much have to huddle up under blankets and clothing and ride it out....Now later in the day I feel fatigued and tired..... But not so much that i cannot type this ! the brain fog hasn't hit to badly yet..... but when it does I struggle to write like you couldn't imagine....

CrohnsChicago

Super Moderator
I'm going to tag afidz who might be able to provide some additional info regarding ankylosing spondylitis.

In addition to getting your Iron levels checked make sure your doctor checks your B12 and folate levels for any deficiencies. I currently get b12 injections due to deficiency which shows symptoms that mirror those of iron and folate deficiency.

Fatigue could be a symptom of any medication you are currently taking as well. I have known to get a bit of a mental fog with steroids and I think in general I get more mental fogs off and on since diagnosis and treatment of crohn's. Some have been medicine related, some I think are just what I deal due to deficiencies.

afidz

Super Moderator
In regards to the brain fog I am going to tag Sarahbear, I know she has had some issues with brainfog.
Are you flaring right now? When I flare, I get REALLY cold really easily. Its attributed to my body sending excess blood to my digestive tract to try to help it fight whatever is going on. But regardless, it is something to talk with your doctor about.
As for the AS, I haven't been diagnosed yet, but I am pretty confident that I have it. I have all of the symptoms. The best thing to do for that is to see a rheumetologist, they can determine if that is in fact what you have. What are your symptoms?

Well I have been suffering pretty badly with fatigue and have noticed a substantial amount of brain fog..Very forgetful, difficulty writing, disorientation, confusion , misplacing things...... Anyways dos anyone else suffer from this ? from what i am reading we can also have inflammation of the brain...
I'm trying yerba mate tea. There are several brands, but I live the kind that is powdered, just add to water. I have trouble with coffee, and hence, brainfog is an issue for me. the yerba is similar to caffeine. It helps with my mental clarity, and give a caffeine like boost, without the stomach ache of coffee. So far, so good.

Yep..something must be up today....

blasted...I got work to do, and I am the boss...so there is no calling in sick for me ......

I can deal with all sorts of pain without issue....However this fatigue is a whole other animal that so far I have not been able to overcome...when this hits, its blasts me bad.........

theOcean

I'm trying yerba mate tea. There are several brands, but I live the kind that is powdered, just add to water. I have trouble with coffee, and hence, brainfog is an issue for me. the yerba is similar to caffeine. It helps with my mental clarity, and give a caffeine like boost, without the stomach ache of coffee. So far, so good.
It gives a caffeine-like boost because it contains caffeine. :p Rooibos is pretty much the only tea that naturally doesn't.

SarahBear

Thanks for the tag, afidz!

I do have a lot of issues with brain fog. I forget every little thing, I misplace things, lose my train of thought… I've been out to dinner with coworkers and completely forgotten if I even worked the previous day, while they're able to even tell me what hours I worked. If it's not written down in front of me, I might as well give up on remembering it.

I wouldn't worry about inflammation of the brain. That's pretty farfetched at this point. If you're experiencing fatigue, that's probably part of the problem. Vitamin decencies and just general malaise can contribute as well.

I don't have as many issues with the brain fog now that I work in a fast-paced setting (and am expected to carry a clipboard with me and write everything down, anyway). When I had a desk job, it was a huge problem. Caffeine helped (soda has never caused me stomach pain, but coffee originally did and I somehow adjusted to it). I took frequent, short breaks from what I was doing. The change of pace helped keep me focused. Eating small snacks helped as well for some reason (might have just been the small distraction, as well). Writing everything down is also good. Set alarms, reminders on your phone, whatever you need to do to make sure the important things get done. To-do lists are great, as well.

Tagging NoGutsNoGlory as well, as he also has some experience with brain fog. :)

nogutsnoglory

Thanks for the tag Sarah.

I can definitely relate to your issues with brain fog Nitro, as others have said it's likely a combo of fatigue and general being unwell from your body fighting this disease.

The best way to combat this is disease management ie: medication and ensuring your diet includes all your need ed nutrients. Try sleeping more, experimental power naps to see if that helps, caffeine, cold beverages and fresh air. These generally help me but its definitely a problem that doesn't go away for me.

It gives a caffeine-like boost because it contains caffeine. :p Rooibos is pretty much the only tea that naturally doesn't.
Youre probably right. I had read 2 trains of thought on it, one saying it was "like" a caffeine, and the other stating it is a type of caffeine. Anyway, it's a caffeine that doesn't uspset my stomach.

theOcean

Rooibos- sounds interesting- can you tell me more about it, and do you like the flavor(s) of it?
Rooibos has a naturally smooth, buttery texture to it. It can be steeped for as little to as long as you would like without it ever becoming bitter, unlike other teas.

It originates from South Africa, and is also sometimes referred to as "red tea" or "red bush". It is high in anti-oxidants, naturally has no caffeine, and helps ease tension, allergies and digestive problems. It is also supposed to help a bit with inflammation and skin problems, and supposedly has cancer-fighting qualities.

There's also green rooibos, which apparently has an even higher level of antioxidants.

I drink traditional rooibos all the time, though one of my favourite flavours of it is also vanilla, which is probably a good way to have it introduced to you if you haven't tried it before.

Kev

Hi... Count me in on the brain fog. I literally forgot years (about 3) of my life... without realizing it. Then, someone was discussing a major snow storm that hit the area in the interval I'd forgotten... and it all came flooding back in. That was my worst case scenario.

I've always had a bad memory (at least, I thought so, compared to peers who had the old photographic memory)... and I've always cautioned anyone who read any of my posts not to trust my memory... because I knew better. Bits and pieces would go astray, I'd lose my train of thought in mid speech...multi attempts to complete tasks as I'd forget to.

Really fuzzy thinking. Thing is... my disease is pretty much dormant in my GI tract. There is no sign of any active inflammation anywhere... BUT ... I've got this post nasal drip thing that NEVER stops... AND I'm wondering if MAP (or whatever is actually behind IBD) may not be hiding somewhere above the brainstem. So the brain inflammation idea may not be so far fetched... OR... the quacks who tell us it's all in our heads may be right.... without intending to be. I wonder if anyone has studied the brains of folks with it? Or autopsied victims?

I have bad brain fog, but sometimes random symptoms that are also ADHD like so I wonder if that's my problem, I forget people's names, forget I'm cooking dinner so I go outside, I'll start playing a video game then go and ride my bike, instead of listening to somebody when they talk I think about which part of the face I'm meant to look at.

A mixture of confusion forgetfulness and social awkwardness and I don't know if it's brain fog or some Dissorder!

I was diagnosed with Crohn's 14 years ago and suffered from significant and worsening brain fog symptoms for the past 7 years or so. A couple of years ago I started an experimentation process during which I tinkered with every dietary variable I could think of, and experimented with literally dozens of supplements to try to alleviate this issue, and the thing that has helped me the most has been reducing my fat intake.

I was eating a relatively high fat diet (I regularly added oils after cooking, consumed generous helpings of high fat snacks almost daily, and my #1 protein of choice was the highest fat salmon I could find), and a few months ago when I turned my attention on the fat variable, and decided to cut fat containing foods to assess how it might affect my brain fog, the results were dramatically good. Quite simply, I find the lifting of the cloud on my thinking, memory etc to vary directly with limiting the fat in my diet. I am a different person now. And while I imagine most people would not characterize their diet as being high fat necessarily, I believe this might help those of us on a "normal" fat diet too. I now eat a low fat diet, as low as I can go really, and when I deviate, I feel it, I find that to that degree the fog comes back.

After my discovery I found an article that might very well contain the scientific reason/support for it. Since I'm new to the forum and haven't yet made 10 posts it's not allowing me to post the direct link but Google "zombie-diet-way-you-eat-causing-you-lose-brain-cells", it's an article by Shape magazine from 11/30/2015 if you want to see it. And the article links to a study "High-fat diet prompts immune cells to start eating connections between neurons". While the article isn't specifically about IBD it makes sense that the impaired ability to properly digest/absorb fat and the inflammation might cause the exacerbation of what it's discussing (and the study specifically references chronic inflammation as the underlying culprit).

I would note that despite that high fat diet I used to consume (for several years, I think the genesis of it was just the idea/fear of not consuming enough calories to sustain/increase my weight), and the normal fat diet I was on before that since my diagnosis (at age 16, I'm now 29), none of that fat was sticking around, I've always been somewhere on the moderately underweight (when not flaring)-severely underweight (when flaring) spectrum.

Best of luck to all :)
Sam