• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Brain turning to mush!

Seriously, I literally have a one track mind right now. If I'm doing something and something else comes up, the first thing goes out my mind never to be seen again. I was asked to photocopy a planning sheet at work, I forgot and now it's lost and my poor teacher has to do it again (like she hasn't got enough to do) :( If it carries on, I'll be lucky to have a job to go to! Luckily my teachers are very understanding but if senior management get wind of what's been happening, I could be in serious trouble (I'm not popular with the head and some of the things I've forgotten to do could if she wanted get me on disciplinary)

I write things down to help me remember, but then I forget where I left the paper!

I think it's all linked to the neurological problems I've been having, I just hope my new referral comes through soon and we can find out what the problem is and start doing something about it.

Don't be too hard on yourself! It's easy to get distracted and forget something; something takes your attention and drives the short-term thing away. Oh, and don't forget the effects of stress and medication :).

I've taken up meditation which seems to have helped me hugely. I don't know how I would have coped with my time with Crohns's without it!

Paul

rygon

yeh im like that all the time, although I have noticed it has become worse the last 3 yrs or so. I carry a little note book around with me and write what i need to do in that before I forget lol

Terriernut

Rebecca, learn to ground and center. But...get a blackberry or Iphone, even used. I would guess you have that with you, and you can set alarms as well on them to remind you. you can use the notepad on it, and keep it with you at all times! Your neuro problems are certainly causing it. But you can overcome them with technology. Just look at Prof Hawking!

I do use my iPod or iPad to keep my personal life organised, I hadn't thought of using it at work too! I will have to see if my boss will allow it (normally we are not supposed to use our phones in work time, so if she sees me using my iPod I might get in trouble, to be honest it's any excuse to get me in trouble).

What do you mean 'ground and centre'?

As for stress, it's a vicious circle, the more I stress the musher I get, which causes me to stress...

Terriernut

As suggested, meditation helps! But even if inside, stand up straight, put your feet about shoulder length apart. Feel yourself from your spine, down your legs, into your feet...from the center of the bottom of your feet, feel like roots are coming down from them, and going to the center of the earth. Just visualize it. When especially frustrated, angry, and just light headed, try this a bit. Its very, very old...and most importantly...it works.

This is better done outside in the fresh air in the grass...but works just fine inside. You are a creature of earth, and that is grounding yourself into the earth. And it helps your mind to focus.

And helping yourself with an Iphone or blackberry to work better cant possibly be an issue...its how the pres of the usa does it! They cant argue that can they?

I think there were issues with people phoning or texting whilst at work, so there was a blanket ban put on use of mobiles during work hours. If a call is urgent, we are supposed to hand out work's number to be contacted on.

I will try the grounding thank you.

Terriernut

I have issues with remembering too...If I cant use my phone...I write on my hand. It still works and you wont get into trouble!

I can so relate to this. I started a new job in financial administration 6 months ago, 4 months after being diagnosed and a bit out of my brains on Pred then the taper etc, etc. Let's just say, there's been quite a few booboos and I think they were wondering what they've taken on.
Things have definitely improved since I've got off the Pred, but it's been stressful and I'm still sorting out some of the messes I've made!