• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Breakfast! :-) What to have!

Recently diagnosed :) Mild CD. Still getting my head round it all. But i still haven't properly found food I can have for breakfast. I know. This could be the most ridiculous question EVER. But I've figured out that my system (at the moment) seems to be okay for lunch and dinner: red meat, chicken, potatoes, fish and juices. Low-fibre sort-of-stuff. But haven't found anything i can really have for breakfast as breakfasts are sooooooooooo full of dairy/bread/wheat/butter. I tried the alternative of soya milk and rice crispies/corn flakes. At first it was ok, but i dont think my system liked all the soya milk at the start in the morning. Cant really do fruit either. What would your suggestions be?

nogutsnoglory

Why can't you have dairy or wheat? Are you following a specific diet? You could follow SCD and Paleo recipes for nut based flours to make breads, pancakes. You can have almond or cashew milk if you don't want too much soy. Just know that the nut based alternatives are not low residue. Low residue diets are primarily wheat and dairy.

Also, you can have eggs and there is no law against fish or meat for breakfast.

I don't like soy milk either :p

Suggested it in another topic about low fibre, but rice porridge. I'd describe the taste to you but since I keep putting random stuff in it it's difficult :p Takes maybe 10-15 minutes to cook so not really that long.

Why can't you have dairy or wheat? Are you following a specific diet? You could follow SCD and Paleo recipes for nut based flours to make breads, pancakes. You can have almond or cashew milk if you don't want too much soy. Just know that the nut based alternatives are not low residue. Low residue diets are primarily wheat and dairy.

Also, you can have eggs and there is no law against fish or meat for breakfast.
Dairy/Wheat: tend to set me off+give me tummy a pain afterwards.

I've just bought some almond milk so will give that a try.

I don't like soy milk either :p

Suggested it in another topic about low fibre, but rice porridge. I'd describe the taste to you but since I keep putting random stuff in it it's difficult :p Takes maybe 10-15 minutes to cook so not really that long.
Its odd with soy milk. I used to love it and never ever had any problems before last year. And then....had a chai latte with Soy...and wow........:stinks:

Martin, have you tried smoothies or something like that? I put myself pretty much on a liquidy diet, and have been having much better days. I have a smoothie for breakfast, then I use my juicer for lunch, and another smoothie or juice for dinner.

I dont have a juicer but reading here online juicing seems to be pretty popular i may just invest in one. Thanks for the tip. But what about.....going out and on holiday you cant always bring a juicer around with you.

In the past, if I stopped having yogurt for an extended amount of time, I would get mild bloating issues when I returned to eating it, or kefir even. I don't drink milk otherwise. That is, the store bought stuff. Since I started culturing kefir, letting 2 cups of organic milk sit in a covered mason jar with 2 tablespoons of live kefir grains for 2 days, I have no problems whatsoever and it makes a great breakfast. I put a banana, some chia and hempseed, some stevia, raw cacao powder and kefir into the blender.

I also routinely make five eggs, with Braggs herbal seasoning and sea salt, in some coconut oil in a pan which lasts 3 days or so. I just put a bit these on Ezekiel bread or wraps, and I'm good to go. Sometimes I add some sauteed veges or avocado.

Other times, I do get 100% juices like the green Naked or Bolthouse farms juices, or the 100% carrot ones, or the tomato-vege ones.

Chicken breasts a few green veggies and olive oil, one of the very few meals that sits well with me, and makes me feel good. Every mornings the same, except sat or sun, when I go full fry up, obviously I suffer all day after, but once a week I'm cool with that.

rygon

I stick to either rice crispies, coco pops or porridge oats as anything else causes me problems. I like almond milk and hazlenut milk as well.

Another thing to try is natural yoghurt (probiotic / live bacteria is good). If you have a lot of it, its supposedly quite easy to make with a live culture and milk (the lactose is eaten by the bacteria so might be better for you).

Jer

I have eating eggs every morning for about 10 years. Lol
I eat 4-6 every morning. To change it up some, i'll saute up some onion, mushrooms, and peppers or something like that to change the flavor up a bit.

Jim (POPS)

Jim (Pops)
I heat up choc. Insure or Boost in the morning. It's just like hot coco and it's good for you. I like doing that because if i eat it seems like i have more BM's all day. I eat lunch and dinnr but in the morning I drink hot Insure (I do think choc. Boost is the best though. Try it.)

Mornings are really bad for me because 1)I always feel nauseated 2) it sets the pace for the rest of the day. Eggs and white toast are the safest bet for me. I put jelly (not jam) on my toast. My eggs I have anyway I like as long as I don't add the butter to cook them. It's trial and error unfortunately. Start slow with small amounts to find out what works for you.

I have had CD for so long that I neglect to read up on new things. I will look up the diet LOFLEX to see what that's about. Maybe there are things I should be changing too. Thanks MartinF