• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

BREAKING: New Crohn's disease treatment trial now open to those in U.S.

Qu Biologics has been testing an immunologic agent for treating Crohn's disease in Canada. Now clinical trials are available in the United States that uses Site Specific Immunomodulators (SSIs) for managing the form of IBD, reports Kathleen Blanchard from EmaxHealth.com.

The biological pharmaceutical company reopened clinical trials in the U.S because of so much interest, "said Dr. Hal Gunn, M.D. in a press release.

According to the company, 30 U.S. patients will be accepted into Phase 1/2 clinical trials to investigate the safety and efficacy of QBECO SSI, for Crohn's disease. The trial is located in Vancouver, Canada.

“QBECO SSI aims to stimulate the innate immune system to remove the underlying trigger for this disease and therefore, presents a possible new treatment option for people living with Crohn’s disease, Dr. Gunn explains.

Ten patients treated for Crohn's with the therapy reported their symptoms improved. Seven patients had complete resolution after 3 months or more of treatment and four continued to experience remission after stopping QBECO SSI and all other medications.

Other finding from the trial included three patients who reported Crohn's disease remission having been confirmed on colonoscopy and CT scan. The company notes all of the patients were treated under a "compassionate" use program versus a controlled blinded clinical trial, meaning the results don't prove the drug's effectiveness.

A total of 121 patients with cancer and Crohn's disease have been treated with QBECO SSI with no serious side effects. The drug was well tolerated. For more information about Crohn's treatment with QBECO SSI, visit www.qucrohnstrial.com.

The idea behind the Crohn's therapy is to boost the body's own immune system to reverse inflammation that becomes chronic in cases of autoimmune diseases.

Reported under http://www.emaxhealth.com/178

nogutsnoglory

I was excited to see this but it will be very few US citizens for this 1/2 trial. I also couldn't find a list of locations on their site.

rygon

David is very interested in this drug as you can see here http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=60661

It does look very promising, and from what I have seen they are very open and friendly so if anyone would like to try the trials or would like any information on it send them an email and I'm sure they will get back to you soon

David

Co-Founder
I was excited to see this but it will be very few US citizens for this 1/2 trial. I also couldn't find a list of locations on their site.
They definitely have open spots in their trial and anyone interested should contact them. Don't let the, "There's not many spots" fool you as it is actually very difficult for companies like Qu Biologics to fill those spots.

The trial location is in Canada which you will have to travel to once. However, they provide a very nice travel stipend which should cover everyone's expenses unless you like staying in 5 star hotels :)

And yes, as Rygon said, I am very excited about this treatment option and its lack of serious side effects. If I had Crohn's rather than Lymphocytic Colitis, I would be on their doorstep.