• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Breathing issues related to meds?

Im not sure if whats going on is related to my meds but my symptoms have been going on since i started taking all this medication. It could have started before when i had my son in february. But when i wake up in the morning im fine then i go to sit up and i feel like i can't catch my breath. Really heavy feeling in my lungs and i gasp. After that I don't have issues breathing. I don't snore, im not overweight, so im not sure what it is. I have a doctors appointment next week. Any ideas?

I have ankylosing spondylitis which is a form of arthritis that effects the spine, si joints, and ribs. When i first had symptoms it was in my ribs. I couldn't get a good breath.
Go to your doctor intermediately no matter what if you can't breath. Ask about AS and seeing a rhematogist.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Some medications do carry breathing problems as potential side effects. What meds are you currently on? Do you take Compazine for nausea? Compazine had that effect with me, I felt like I couldn't take a full breath, like my lungs were constricted and couldn't inflate fully. When I stopped taking it, it took about 24 hours for me to be able to breathe normally again. It was kind of scary! You should check with your doctor to see which med could be causing this. Don't wait until your appointment next week, call them now.

Im taking imuran/asacol/entocort. The breathing issue is only when i get up from sleeping in the morning and its not everyday its weird. As soon as i've been awake for awhile it goes away. Over the past few months its only been maybe 4-5 times. I'm going as soon as i can get an appointment unless it gets worse i'll go to urgent care. I wonder if its from low blood pressure or something like that. My blood has been checked monthly so its not anemia.