• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Broken bone and remicade

So got home from urgent care about an hour ago and Jack has broken his arm. He is due for his infusion on Tuesday, I've tried to do some research assumed it was fine since it's not systemic but have found some random posting about slower healing. Any body have any experience? Have to call the orthopedist on Monday to schedule hard cast. Lucky it's a clean break and no surgery required.
He was decorating for the homecoming dance tomorrow night and fell off the bleachers so lucky it's only a broken arm but he starts his first job tomorrow morning as well. He will be a server in the dining room at a retirement home. Needless to say he is not a happy camper tonight

Awww poor fella, I wouldn't be a happy camper either.

I don't have any info on the break and remicade except there was a kiddo at the infusion center with a broken arm well an arm in a hard cast at least when C was there. He had a different GI than C because his doc came over and signed the cast with the nurses.

I hope it heals quickly and isn't painful for him!

crohnsinct

Ouch! That sounds awful! but heck to the yeah thank goodness no surgery! O has only broken a finger before and I heard the same about slow healing. I remember reading kids were more at risk of breaks and fractures with Remicade but then again kids are more at risk of fractures and breaks period! Who wouldn't break something falling off the bleachers! Yikes!

I have also heard slow healing but nothing that would delay Remicade but definitely check. Maybe because it is so soon, or an arm, or something.....

Maya142

Staff member
I would definitely check - I have also seen a kiddo with a cast in the infusion room. Poor Jack, hope he feels better soon!

Ouch Joeyme1!

Work went well for him since they bring food out on a cart they push so he was able to do everything one-handed. The hardest part he said was washing just his fingers and putting a glove on that hand.

He's only asked for tylenol a couple of times so pain is bearable.

Sending the GI an email to give him a heads up. Swelling looks like it's gone for the most part so hopefully we can get hard cast Tuesday as well since we'll be down there anyway for infusion and save ourselves an extra trip.

We're here getting infusion with no issue, he did pull to test for antibodies since his weight is still down. His weight at the beginning of September when he had pink eye was 126 today is 122. I have noticed av decrease in appetite the last couple of weeks. So the theory is he is burning through it to quickly (that's what we hope) or he's building antibodies (hope not).

Yep, I'm picking that one too! Hope that's all it is, and that a dose adjustment is all that's needed.

Can he get his cast today?

Tesscorm

Staff member
Sorry, haven't been on for a couple of days... sorry to hear about the arm! :eek: No experience with broken bones and remicade but hope it heals quickly!

And, hope the weight loss doesn't have any significance at all! Just a small blip!!! :ghug:

Me too Tess, unfortunately it seems like he's a pound or 2 lighter each time when as a 16 year old boy it should definitely be going the other way

Maya142

Staff member
Fingers and toes crossed that the dose just needs to be adjusted. Can you get him to drink shakes to keep his weight up, while you're waiting for results?

Tesscorm

Staff member
Yes, of course, you're right... I"ve just gotten quite good at digging my head firmly in the sand! Glad it is being looked at... So common for infusion schedule to be tighted from 8 weeks, S had no remi left at 8 weeks, so we moved to 6 weeks almost right away.

:)

Trying on the shakes Maya, he's not keen on it since doing EEN. I think if we have to do again it would have to be through NG. In the meantime I think it's time to start on the super duper protein smoothies again. I can use the shakes in them and add extra fruit and I can usually get him to drink them that way. He's not bad weight wise yet just not going in the right direction. Weight has always been so difficult for him it's just frustrating

Maya142

Staff member
Sorry to hear it's so hard - believe me, we've been there! Our GI essentially said we could use any shake M could tolerate if we were just trying to get weight on her -- not necessarily semi-elemental or elemental like we'd have to use for IBD. Of course she only tolerated Neocate, but did like stuff like Ensure and Carnation Instant Breakfast.

my little penguin

Staff member
V8 has a protein shake ( choc and vanilla ) veggie filled not bad tasting.
Orgain has some as well.
Even slim fast works provided you still eat normally

E has been losing weight too. She hit a high of 95 pounds over the summer doing supplemental EN, but she's down to 92 now, and her appetite is down too. She won't drink any of the commercial shakes, so this week we've been trying fruit-based smoothies in the evening before bed. She picked out a bunch of recipes, and I follow the recipe, but then add a scoop of full fat yogurt, along with some cream or coconut milk. So far she's drinking them (albeit grudgingly). Hope you find something that works for Jack.

my little penguin

Staff member
Pdx can you add nut butters as well for added protein and fat
Pumpkin smoothies with almond or peanut butter almond milk are great

I'm so hoping for burning through, off course since remicade was just done appetite is out off the charts. Ate everything I brought for snack (pudding, juice, granola bar, fruit) and was still hungry so stopped for smoothie on the way back to school. Got back to school just in time for lunch and he ate his entire lunch plus 2 donuts that were in the break room. Came home from school and ate a huge bowl of raviolis before he went to watch a soccer game, came home from that and ate an entire box of ritz crackers and peanut butter. So in my non-scientific, mom mind this seems like just burning through, yes?

:ywow: That's amazing--I clearly don't have teenage boys! Glad to hear that his appetite was back.

Maya142

Staff member
It really does seem (unscientifically) that he does need the dose adjusted! Wow teenage boys can eat! Must be so nice to watch :) I remember watching my nephew eating an entire pizza when he was 16 :lol:

I'd lean towards burning through too. Sounds just like DS this summer. How long until you get results?

If you think feeding a teenage boy is crazy, try feeding a gluten free teenage boy. A large bag of pretzels is $8 around here and he'll eat the whole dang thing in one sitting.

Tesscorm

Staff member
Hate waiting for results! :ytongue: But, from his appetite, does seem he's just burning through! :D

And, yes, amazing what a teen boy can eat! S was the same when he was at home. :) He lives with four other guys at school - can only imagine their combined food bill! :eek: (Good thing their apt has two fridges! :lol:)

CarolinAlaska

Holding It Together
Sorry to hear about his arm. Jaedyn got up to 105, but now back down to 101 :(. I get jealous when I read 122...