• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Bromelain and Crohn's

I have been flared for the last month, and noticed that fresh pineapple was one of the foods that did not make things worse. As a matter of fact it helped a bit. I was reluctant to even eat it at first, as I would think it would be a bad food to eat, when in a flare.

Not really knowing why this would help, I read up on it a little bit. I think this applies mostly to fresh pineapple. I beleive canned pineapple is packed in citric acid which may make it too acidic for use in these circumstances.

Dan

Bromelain
Overview:

Bromelain is a mixture of protein-digesting (proteolytic) enzymes found in pineapples (Ananas comosus). Pineapple has been used for centuries in Central and South America to treat indigestion and reduce inflammation. Bromelain, which is derived from the stem and juice of the pineapple, was first isolated from the pineapple plant in the late 1800s. The German Commission E approved bromelain to treat swelling and inflammation following surgery, particularly sinus surgery.
Bromelain can be useful in treating a wide range of conditions, but it is particularly effective in reducing inflammation associated with infection and injuries.
Surgical Procedures and Sports Injuries
Although studies show mixed results, bromelain may reduce swelling, bruising, healing time, and pain following surgery and physical injuries. It is often used to reduce inflammation associated with tendinitis, sprains and strains, and other minor muscle injuries.
Wounds and Burns
Some studies of animals indicate that bromelain (applied to the surface of the skin) may be useful in removing dead tissue (debridement) from third-degree burns. In addition, a preliminary study using a debridement agent that is derived from bromelain to treat people with second- and third-degree burns showed a benefit. Bromelain may also be applied topically to reduce swelling from insect bites and stings.
Sinusitis (Sinus inflammation)
Although not all studies agree, bromelain may help reduce cough and nasal mucus associated with sinusitis, and relieve the swelling and inflammation caused by hay fever. The German Commission E approved bromelain for the treatment of sinus and nasal swelling following ear, nose, and throat surgery or trauma.
Indigestion
Bromelain can digest proteins and may help relieve stomach upset or heartburn, particularly when used in conjunction with other enzymes such as amylase (which digests starch) and lipase (which digests fat). One animal study suggests that the antibacterial effects of bromelain may help control diarrhea caused by bacteria. Another study suggests bromelain may be a novel therapy for inflammatory bowel disease. However, human studies are needed.
Arthritis and other Inflammatory Conditions
Studies show mixed results, but one study suggested that a combination of bromelain, rutosid, and trypsin was as effective as some commonly used nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory (NSAID) medications for reducing pain associated with osteoarthritis. NSAIDs include ibuprofen (Advil or Motrin), naproxen (Aleve), and diclofenac (Voltaren), among others. Similarly, preliminary studies suggest that bromelain may also help reduce pain associated with rheumatoid arthritis, but the results are not definitive.
Infection
Some evidence from test tubes and animals suggests that bromelain can kill some viruses and bacteria. That could make it a useful addition to conventional treatment of bronchitis, pneumonia, and urinary tract infections. But more research, including human studies, is needed to see whether it is truly effective.

David

Co-Founder
I was brought to this thread because I just did a search on the forum for "bromelain" because I began taking an anti-allergy supplement called "D-Hist" about three weeks ago because my allergies were terrible. I then went through 10 days of VERY LITTLE pain in my gut.

I stopped the supplement and had a really bad flare.

Once I figured out what I had changed, I started taking the supplement again. Within two days, my pain was once again negligible. The ingredients of the supplement are:

Vitamin C
Quercetin
Stinging Nettles
Bromelain
N-Acetyl-L-Cysteine

I think it's the Bromelain based upon the research I've done.

At present, my pain is so negligible that I could easily live with this and be quite happy. Is it the supplement? I can't know for sure, but I get the feeling it is.

When I first went into the hospital (after I had suffered for months!!), I was discharged without a solid diagnosis due to the fact that my bloodpressure was so low that they feared to do a colonoscopy. One hypothesis batted about was that I might have celiac disease. I did some research online, saw that bromelain had been used in a Scandinavian study with the notion that it would break down gluten and help celiac sufferers to handle gluten exposure better, and promptly went to the local food coop and bought a month's worth of tablets. I was hoping the sever adema in my feet and ankles would respond immediately if that was the case, but no such luck. However, as the month went on, the swelling gradually disappeared. By the time I had a colonoscopy, and finally diagnosed with Crohn's, my ulcerated colon was no longer bleeding. I have used it for the better part of two years now, with no flare-ups that lasted longer than a couple of days. These seemed coincident with failing to avoid hydrogenated oils and fat from animals that are the product of agribusiness. I have not had any problems with sheep and goat cheese and grass fed beef. I don't dare eat much in the way of ordinary ground beef, though, and chicken fat is right out! I told my gastroenterologist about taking bromelain, but he looked at me as though he was humoring me. I had my last appointment with my gastroenterologist over six months ago, who had been continually pressuring me to submit to Remicade treatment, and he told me he was not going to schedule another appointment. Instead, I should call him only if I need to. :)

David

Co-Founder
Interesting that you should pop up. I ran out of the pills I was taking above and didn't order any more. Sure enough, my gut has been acting up lately. I just ordered some more, thanks for the reminder :)

I'm glad you're doing well with it as well. What dosage do you take and how many times a day?

Hello, David,

Sorry to take so long to get back to you. I don't remember the dosage of the pills I was taking; 500 mg seems about right. Due to expense, I soon decided to track down a bulk herb supplier so that I could buy it by the pound. The problem with herbals, though is variability in quality. The one I liked best I used a half teaspoon per meal; it dissolved very cleanly on the tongue. Then they shifted suppliers, and now I have this stuff that leaves a very gummy residue that takes a while to dissolve in the mouth. It is not nearly as effective, and I have more than doubled the dose. The term "bromelain" can refer to either of two protease enzymes extracted from the Pineapple stem (usually) or to the raw pressing. I believe I am getting the raw pressing. This is not all bad, as that way I get both enzymes and a lot of other potentially beneficial stuff, but guestimating dosage can be a problem. I am currently having some acting up (extreme stress is a definite trigger for me, regardless of what anyone says! In fact, I am sure that in my case it brought on my Crohn's. I am WAY older than the usual onset of the disease), so I am upping it some more, and taking it more often that just with meals. I seem not to be getting any worse.

There is a nice supplement from Now (a GMP manufacturer, so typically well regarded with their products) that you can get for ~$15 online that contains bromelain - 300mg and turmeric - 600mg. It is a nice combination since turmeric is an excellent supplement for us to take and the cost is pretty good for a 45 day supply.

Hello, saidinstouch,

I'd lean more to a full 500 mg per tablet, at least. It took that much to bring mine under control, in about a month, if the extreme swelling in my feet and ankles was any indicator.

Good to know. Once I get some money together to get some new supplements added I might just take 3 a day instead of 2 of this one to get the bromelain up. I am more interested in the turmeric, but getting both at that price is pretty damned hard to find from a good company like now!

I was using at least three a day of the 500 mg pills. You might want to get your dosage up to at least 500 mg a meal. Taking it between meals can be beneficial too, say before you go to bed.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
This thread intrigued me - so much so that I bought myself some bromelain yesterday to try out. I'll keep everyone posted on the results! My guts haven't been too bad at all, but I have still been having d a few times per week and passing mucus about once per week, so I'm hoping this will help in that regard.

ameslouise

I'm curious to know how much pineapple you would have to eat in order to gain the same results as taking concentrated tablets.

When I was in my juicing heydey, I decided to try juicing a pineapple skin and core. I am happy to report that I can put a ROCK thru my omega juicer and get juice from it. It ground up that pineapple skin and core like butter. The resulting juice tasted like bandaids.

Dan Bergy - been a few months since you started this thread, but i hope you are feeling better!!

- Amy

I am sorry to report that I am not doing well at all. For over four months I have been in almost constant pain, and am going to have to go on what hopefully will be a short term disability.

I am no longer taking LDN but am on Prednisone and Lialda, neither of which is working very well. I have no clue what is causing this but I suspect a virus or some kind of unusual bacterial infection.

I have been using Bromelian for a short time. I take it with meals, not on an empty Stomach. It causes me trouble on an empty Stomach. It is my understanding that a majority of the Bromelian in Pineapple is in the stem, so a supplement has a lot more of it than Pineapple does.

It is difficult to tell if it helps as my symptoms change so much for no apparent reason.
I also am taking pain medication and the other drugs which make it hard to tell what is doing what.

Dan

ameslouise

Oh, Dan, I am so sorry to hear this. You always have such a practical and logical handle on your disease and symptoms and are so well-informed about alternatives, supplements, etc. If you have had to resort to pred and pain meds, it must be pretty bad indeed.

Hope you can get things under control and cleared up very soon.

Thinking of you - Ames

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hey Dan,

I have been wondering how you are getting on as I haven't seen you around much lately. I am so sorry to hear that the reason is because you aren't well. :(

Knowing how knowledgeable you are on IBD and it's treatments, then as Amy has said...it must be bad.

Wishing you all the very, very best Dan, I hope you can hit on something that gives you lasting relief and peace.

Please keep us posted mate. Thinking of you.

Dusty. xxx

Thank you all for your kind thoughts. I have really been unable to do much of anything, and even posting is hard when the pain is so intense.

One good thing about this is I now know how bad this can get. I have to say this is my very first bad Crohn's flare. I do not even think it is all Crohn's related, as there seems to be another element to it that I have missed. I have a much better understanding as to how bad this can be, and I am probably not the worst case.

The heavy duty drugs have kept me from going insane with pain, and I am glad to have them. But even with Tramadol, steroids and the Lialda, the pain gets intense and is rarely gone altogether.

I may have had a breakthrough yesterday, but I need another day or two to see if I have found the pathogen causing this. I used one of my alternative treatment methods to target mycobacterium pneumonia. This is usually a lung infection that children and those with a weakened immune system get. There is no simple lab test for it, and I doubt it is tested for routinely.

Since this started, I have had some kind of lung thing going on, and this can spread into the intestinal tract from what I have read.

I did the treatment yesterday, proceeded to get a high fever shortly after, and have been coughing up a lot of mucous and crud that I did not even know was in my lungs.

Coincidentally or not, my swelling has gone down in my intestines, although the pain is not gone yet. Since I am also swallowing some of this crap from my lungs, it may be irritating the guts from that.

I will know once some time has passed and my lungs are completely cleared. One thing I am sure of is this bacterium was in my lungs. The treatment is very specific, and it is unlikely that it affected any other bacterium. The immediate fever and sloughing off of the lungs was quite pronounced after the treatment.

I hope I am right on this. I have been wrong at least twenty times prior to this, but hopefully persistence will pay off. It is especially important since the doctor does not know why my pain is so bad either. The fact I have lost forty pounds of weight and lots of muscle is bad enough.

The colonoscopy showed a perfectly healthy bowel up to the ilium, with the exception of spotty swelled up areas. No scarring, no polyps or any other unusual things going on there. Something is irritating it, and I hope to find it soon. I really have little time left before I will have to be hospitalized. I do not mind that so much, but it would not allow me to test with my own treatment methods, which have served me well so often in the past.

Regarding the Bromelian. I do not think this is a good supplement if you are inflamed already. It breaks up biofilm, and the mucous in your intestines also seems to be affected, causing more pain. Particularly if you take it without food. Even with food it seemed to bother me, so I quit using it for now.

It may not bother anyone in a more normal state, but it does bother me now.

Hope we all get better, and never give up.

Dan

ameslouise

Dan - As always, I am impressed with your knowledge and how you are able to get to the bottom of your own health situation. I hope you are able to figure this one out before you land in the hospital.

Please keep us posted on how you are doing!!! - Amy

I went to my GP and got a prescription for Zithromax for a lung infection, which I think is caused by Mycoplasma Pneumonia. Walking Pneumonia is what I think it is, and I think I have had it even before all of this started. I am inclines to believe that it is also in my guts, and in my back.

I will start a new thread and update everyone once I am sure what is causing my intense pain. This could happen to anyone, and it would not be easy to diagnose, if it is caused by Mycoplasma Pneumonia. A person naturally assumes it is Crohn's.

Dan

Anatara Lifesciences recently popped up on my radar with their Detach product whose active ingredient is bromelain. Though intended for increasing animal yields, they are looking at its possible use for Crohn's patients.

I read up their material and also this research paper to get a better understanding on mechanisms of action.

From what I gather, bromelain stops pathogenic bacteria from attaching to the intestinal lining and has anti-inflammatory effects by removing certain epithelial cell surface molecules that affect T cell expression of mRNA encoding pro-inflammatory cytokines IL-2, IL-4 and interferon-γ. This plays a role in reducing inflammation. Not bad.

These days I am taking two 2000 GDU/g tablets of bromelain enzyme (Vitamin Shoppe, not part of the recent supplement scandal), a tablespoon of pressed out bromelain, 600 GDU/g pressed out bromelain (to make sure I am getting the full spectrum of substances in the pineapple stem), and two 900 mg curcumin capsules with each meal. Diet is critical too; I avoid all Big Aggy animal products, fried foods (except in coconut or avocado oils), processed foods, and anything made with GMO grains. My colon is completely normal now. However, my last endoscopy and colonoscopy showed chronic gastritis (after which I stopped taking bromelain on an empty stomach, since it breaks down animal proteins wherever it finds them), and my small intestine had holes in it. I think ceasing to take bromelain on an empty stomach has helped with the gastritis. I am stable, and have not been to the hospital for years (no resectioning ever, thank God!). My GP doctor says I am doing better than any of her other Crohn's patients. I am, however, underweight and have absorption issues. I am going on medical marijuana and will give that eight weeks. If that doesn't substantially improve things, I will give Entivio a try. I refused to take Remicade or Humira, but Entivio looks feasible, though I have read some horror stories from various people on this forum that have tried it. I make my living by my hands, so I am not without worries.