• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Budesonide 9mg for 4 weeks...no taper?

My GI has prescribed budesonide 9mg daily for a month for this flare. No tapering.The last time I had this maybe 3 yrs ago, I had to taper to 6mg then 3 mg over a few weeks. Anyone else stopped budesonide without tapering down?

That doesn't seem right. Typically it's one month at 9 mg, one month at 6 mg and one month at 3 mg. Did the pharmacist possible not print the right instructions? It definitely should be tapered.

I'm actually holding off with starting it...I am having an ok day today so I will see how tomorrow goes and make a decision then. Will definitely speak to the dr again. Thanks all.

So I have started the course of budesonide ER 9mg daily for 4 weeks...it's been a bad morning so I gave in and took the first one. I checked with the Dr again and the pharmacist re: tapering down after the month...both said no need because it is an extended release and "tapers itself".

Mine is budesonide ER. Extended release, comes in 9mg and releases in the sigmoid colon area where most of my disease is at the moment.
Budesonide EC is controlled release in the ileum. Maybe that's why mine doesn't taper...I'm still not sure.