• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Buffalo neck?

I'm weaning off my prednisone down to 5 mg this week from 20mg. But I noticed a few weeks ago i got buffalo neck along with my moon face. Anyone ever get this and how long did it take to go away after you got off the steriod. Is there anything your doctor can do to get your adrenal glands to work better. Or anything I could do. I've heard working out can help?

Ick, "buffalo hump", yet another lovely side effect of the steroids. If it's any consolation, my hump went away a lot faster than my moon face. I have heard that drinking a lot of water and staying away from carbohydrates can help. Working out (even just a little) has helped me to lose the "apple belly" AKA pregnant belly. But there really is not magic secret that I have found yet. I keep trying to remind myself that the side effects could be a lot worse than what you see on the outside. Hope the 'roids helped you and you are feeling better!