• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Bum issue, TMI, what is this?

It's been a year since my ileocecal bowel resection and removal of absess. I've been doing well, pain is gone and BMs are normal-ish (I don't even know what normal is, but twice daily occasional D) my problem is that after I go to the bathroom, I need to go back about 1/2 hour later to wipe again because a "residue" appears. It's itchy, burning!! Today it was reddish in colour. I have also noticed small amounts of mucous in stool lately. I know how gross this is, and I really have no one else to go to about this right now. (I see my doc December 5th). Anyways, I am FREAKING because I really was living the life the past year, forgetting about my disease. I have extremely low iron, last checked it was 4. I am on supplements. Other than that, I've been OK. Sooooo any thoughts on my totally gross bum problem?

P.s. currently on no meds, trying to conceive. Haven't been medicated since surgery.

Not entirely sure. It's possible that you have some mild incontinence from nerves being affected by surgery, but your resection sounds like it was on the wrong end for that unless I'm badly confusing my anatomy. Still, stuff happens. I'd ask your doc.

I have a similar sort of issue, but I have an externally draining fistula that accounts for it. I used to recommend CVS brand 4x4 Gauze Sponges but they no longer sell them. Typical gauze sponges are too coarse and will aggravate your soft tissue... I have a stockpile and so haven't found a replacement yet. :-(

I had this problem a lot, but was cleared up after my last resection (which was just above the rectum). I would think mucus would be sign of abscess or fistula. I know my doctors put me on antibiotics to calm that down and then remicade helped for that as well.

Now onto TMI.... I used to just fold some toilet paper and slide it between my cheeks to stop the draining. I would also use neosporin to keep rashes from forming. I would also do some sphincter flexing through out the day. sounds silly but just a week of flexing for as long as you can 10 times maybe 2-3 times a day helped tone that area. I like flexing in the mirror, so this came natural to me.

If things unfortunately get worse, I did have a seton, placed in my abscess/fistula that allowed things to drain so the abscess didn't get worse and then the medication helped calm it down. That helped me as well.

Hope it gets better!

Thanks for your replies. I am so freaked out by this and hearing "abscess" scares me. Can I have an abscess without pain or fever? I mean, I should know by now but I only started paying attention to this disease when I was about due for surgery. I didn't even know that I had an abscess until they removed it with surgery (found it while they were in there, located where bowel was removed)

Thanks for your replies. I am so freaked out by this and hearing "abscess" scares me. Can I have an abscess without pain or fever? I mean, I should know by now but I only started paying attention to this disease when I was about due for surgery. I didn't even know that I had an abscess until they removed it with surgery (found it while they were in there, located where bowel was removed)
I had an internal channel, my doctor called it a fistula, but it didn't connect to anything, that I didn't know I had until I had surgery for my other fistulas. And I don't recall having fever when my first fistulas developed, though to be fair I had no idea what a fistula was when I first got one.

yeah an abscess or fistula to my understanding would not be felt because it moves so slow. A fistula basically bores a hole in your intestine, but it goes so slow that the body has time to repair it somewhat and that is how it creates a tunnel. Atleast I think that is how it works, so you probably wouldn't know its happening until it bores into something. For me I had one go into my hip bone and had one come out near my rectum, now that hurt! But I did not know until it actually drilled itself into something.

I think CT scans can check for fistulas, but I think they are hard to find with any tests unfortuantely.

I used to get fevers and cold sweats and I am sure that was from the fistulas or abscesses, but the abscess/fistula had probably been brewing prior to that.

I had a twingy pain while my fistula was forming.

The mucous could be a sign of rectal inflamation and I think that inflamation can cause irratation and slight incontinance.

Do they know why your iron is so low??? 4 seems super low without bleeding somewhere.

I am glad that you have a doc at coming up soon - good luck!