• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Burning tongue

burning tongue

I'm beginning to feel like there's always going to be something going on with this disease. Lately, I have a burning tongue sensation. I looked it up online and found that nutritional deficiencies may be the cause. Has anyone else experienced this? Apparently, I'm just not getting enough nutrients from the food I eat and the vitamins I take. I'm behind on my B12 shots, so that may be a factor. I don't know. Thanks for any info.

Does you tongue appear to be in normal condition???? No red or white areas ? I had some terrible Thrush that caused soar burning mouth and throat. It also altered the taste and feel of things. example liquid. I could not taste what it was suppose to taste like or feel it moisten my mouth. If thrush is what you have, you will more then likely need to visit your Dr.'s office for medication ti treat it,

Astra

Hiya

does it feel like you've burnt it with hot coffee or something?
It's a Crohnie thang!
it will go on it's own, but if there is white on the tongue, it could be thrush like Brindle says
xxx

It feels just like I burnt it on hot coffee or something. It scares me that I'm getting another symptom. I guess that means the Crohn's is progressing.

I forgot to say that the tongue looks perfectly normal. It's just that odd burning sensation, mostly on the right side of my tongue.

Astra

Tina

don't worry about this, it does happen sometimes, and you've not got thrush if there's no white gunk on it.
Remember Crohns is from the tip of your tongue to the tip of your anus!
but it doesn't necessarily mean you're gonna flare. sometimes it could be meds, Lialda, I'm on Pentasa, so it could be the mesalazine that's in those 2 meds, that causes it, or it could be acid reflux?
here's a tip, use ice cubes, very soothing, or chew sugarfree gum, this helps me, don't eat spicy food, or use mouthwash, that burns!
xxxx

I get that once in a while too. It feels burnt and even has a few red patches on it. Of course it is never doing that when I see my GI and he doesn't seem concerned about it cause it always goes away. I am starting to think I just have a sensitive tongue and I am actually burning it by eating things that are too hot for me. My husband can eat stuff piping hot and it doesn't bother him, but not me.