• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Buspirone as treatment for Crohn's

Does anyone here have experience with or knowledge of the use of Buspirone as a treatment for active Crohn's? I have found some older scientific/medical papers on this but nothing recent. It is an off label use of the drug and I wanted to get more information about it if there is any available. Any research/documents/etc you can point me to would be greatly appreciated.

Yes, GI prescribed but not for anxiety. Currently not on treatment and pain levels are really bad. To help with pain until I can begin treatment again. Some articles if you are interested. Have to dig through but seem to suggest some upside:

Also interesting, I've been taking this drug for anxiety for 7 years. Have had routing blood work done 4 times in the past 4 years, and every time my WBC count has come back below the lowest end of normal. It was 2.7 and 3.0 last 2 times. I just had a blood draw for this from a hemotologist last week to make sure nothing else was going on. Only side effects I have every had with Buspar were dizziness. I am on a low dose of 10mg a day.

I'd be very interested in hearing if you doctor has had success with using this off label. Please inquire more. My 5yo son was diagnosed with IBD in January.

Also interesting, I've been taking this drug for anxiety for 7 years. Have had routing blood work done 4 times in the past 4 years, and every time my WBC count has come back below the lowest end of normal. It was 2.7 and 3.0 last 2 times. I just had a blood draw for this from a hemotologist last week to make sure nothing else was going on. Only side effects I have every had with Buspar were dizziness. I am on a low dose of 10mg a day.

I'd be very interested in hearing if you doctor has had success with using this off label. Please inquire more. My 5yo son was diagnosed with IBD in January.
If I learn more I will keep you posted.