• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

C diff club

I've had it. I've been told people with IBD "just get it." The treatment for it sucks. Let's talk about C. diff and how awful it is/what we can do to prevent or treat it.

I was given Flagyl when I had it, which was so, so unbelievably awful. Zofran just barely took the edge off the nausea so that I could go to work. I was eating pretzels constantly to stave off the nausea getting worse.

I was given orange flavored VSL 13, which made me gag. I was compliant with it at first but it just became too much to bear.

I eat yogurt sometimes, but not as much as I should probably.

What do you guys do?

I have it currently. I don't know if you saw my post about it. I was given Vancocin 125mg capsules every 6 hours for 14 days. I was in the hospital for 5 days getting help with the pain and nausea. Yesterday I got off schedule for my anti-biotics and was in severe pain so I went to the ER and they just sent me home which was crap. I can eat just fine today which is nice. I actually have a huge appetite. I took baths and used heating packs this morning which didn't help (It usually does) so I actually took one more of my oxycodone then recommended by my doctors (They told me to take 3 15 mg pills every six hours so I took four) and it seemed to help a little bit. I am also given Zofran while in the hospital but my insurance wont pay for it out of the hospital so they gave me promethazine. This is my second time having c-diff and most likely not my last unfortunately. It sucks even more when you get c-diff in the middle of a flare like I have right now. People with Crohn's get it so easily from having lowered immune systems. Especially if you are taking drugs that lower your immune system.

I wish I was allergic to Flagyl! Nasty stuff, but even after I got horribly sick from my course of it, they told me my insurance probably wouldn't pay for Vancomycin. I hope it gets rid of that nasty infection!