• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

C.Diff?

Hi everyone, I am hoping for some advice. I have been on a number of strong antibiotics and developed a really upset stomach. I know at least one of the antibiotic can cause c.diff.
How do you know the difference between normal diarrhoea and c.diff. I am terrified to pass anything onto Andrew and want to know what to look out for and whether I should be staying away from him.
Also how long does it take to go away?

Maya142

Staff member
When M was on antibiotics for a sinus infection and developed CDiff, she had really bad diarrhea - watery, smelled awful and she was going anywhere from 10-20 times a day. She's never had such bad diarrhea with antibiotics before so her GI immediately tested for CDiff.

She was then given different antibiotics for 2 weeks (I think - can't quite remember) to treat the CDiff (Vancomycin). She started feeling better by day 5 or so of antibiotics.

I would definitely not use the same bathroom as your son if possible - besides that, not much you can do I think. There are special cleaning products that you should use to clean that bathroom - ones that contain bleach (clorox wipes incidentally do not contain bleach!).

I hope you don't have it.
:eek:Yes the smell is what I remember. It was the worst foul smelling stuff...... keep in mind I live on a dairy farm and nothing have ever come close.

Can you send a stool sample?

Will ask the GP tomorrow if I can send a sample away. Hoping it's just "normal" upset stomach from the antibiotic. Stopped taking it today.

crohnsinct

I remember feeling like I was dying when they thought I had c diff. Going every few minutes, passing blood etc. turned out just to be from antibiotic. I quarantined myself for those days until we found out.

I hope you feel better soon!

My symptoms of c-difficult were
-really aweful watery diarrhea which turned to straight blood
-feeling of constantly needing to go
-I had feelings of not fully emptying my bowels
-urgency so bad I had multiple accidents
-left side pain (left side of my colon felt swollen and uncomfortable)
-fever of 102+
-I slept a lot and only ate "liquids" (popsicles, soup, jello ect).

You can tell your GP you suspect you might have it. I'm sure he would be willing go test you given the family circumstances. Best to be safe than sorry. Separate bathrooms are a good idea like Maya suggested.

Hope you are in the clear!

Diarrhoea is a very common antibiotic side effect, so don't worry unnecessarily. Just wash your hands well with soap and clean bathrooms with bleach. Do you feel ok otherwise? Do you have pain or a temperature? If the diarrhoea is "normal" antibiotic diarrhoea it would usually stop soon after you stop taking them (days at most, though there are exceptions). Don't stop taking antibiotics early though. Hope your doctor agreed to test you.

I am having a bit of a mental breakdown. I am really struggling to cope with feeling not well and worrying about not making it to our holiday. The diarrhea had gone away yesterday and I was constipated instead so I took some lactulose last night and now I am back to diarrhea again. I know it's ridiculous to be so stressed about this when our poor kids go through so much worse, but I seem to have reached the end of my tether - my brain has had enough. I just feel like crying and crying.

You may not have been constipated, just empty from having had diarrhoea - or were you very uncomfortable? I'm sorry, I'm not sure if you've posted elsewhere about other things happening in your life, but I'm guessing the way you are feeling mentally now is not really to do with your having stomach issues. But I understand stomach issues can feel like one thing too many. You say your kids go through much worse, but in your first post you said you were worried about passing your illness on to Andrew, so your worries have been about a lot more than just how you feel physically.

I would leave off the laxatives and let your system sort itself out. Did you get to see your GP?

Thanks, I appreciate the reply. I got an appointment with the GP for Thursday. Trying to just get things into perspective and not get too stressed. With worrying about causing a flare for Andrew's Crohns or my daughters undiagnosed tummy issues, plus my hysterectomy I guess this is the straw that broke the camels back as they say.
Will try stop moaning now!

crohnsinct

AW Sacot! Moan away. That is what we are here for! Totally understandable that these issues were the straw that broke the camel's back. When I am like that a good cry releases my anguish and then I can put my big girl panties on and deal much better.

I hope it goes well with the GP and your stomach is on the mend. Also hoping you get answers for your girl soon.

crohnsinct

P.S. with your recent surgery I wouldn't be surprised if a change in hormones isn't contributing to your feelings these days. Be gentle with yourself.

Big hugs to you. Don't feel bad about feeling overwhelmed with all this--you've been dealing with a lot lately! Glad to hear that you have an appt with your GP coming up this week, and I hope you're feeling better soon.

It sounds like you have had a lot on your plate, and the stress of needing to be well before you go on vacation triples it!! N had c-diff after his resection and the biggest tell tale signs were very mucousy and bloody, watery stools, and a strong smell. Would your doc consider ordering stool tests before seeing you so that he might have some answers at your appointment time? Just a thought. Hang in there, and let us know what the doc says.

Tesscorm

Staff member
Just lots of hugs from here too! :ghug: I'm so sorry you're feeling so badly, it's hard to not feel overwhelmed with worries of everyone else on top of not feeling well yourself! But, I'm glad you're seeing GP on Thurs... hopefully, you'll already be feeling a bit better. :ghug: :ghug:

Sascot: How are you feeling ? When I found out I had C-diff I panicked. I had been participating in a program about 3 days a week for 5 weeks. When I found out I had the C-diff I could not go back to the program I was participating in because I was infectious. I was at home for the entire month of April. The Vancomycin antibiotic pills worked for me and I am fine now. The biggest thing that bothered me about the C-diff was that I could transfer it to others.