• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

C-Section on Remicade or other Immunosuppressant

Has anyone had a c-section while on Remicade or another immunosuppressant? I'm hoping to have a natural childbirth, but I think talking to someone who has had a c-section and was on Remicade might help me relax in case I did need a cesarean.

For those of you that had a c-section on Remicade, did it take longer to heal due to the suppressed immune system? How long before delivery was your last infusion?

Also, did anyone on Remicade end up with a c-section due to failure to dilate? Since Remicade is a TNFa, and TNFa's are related to cervical ripening, I'm concerned the Remicade will interfere with dilation of the cervix. (I read a blurb about it on another forum post)

I'd really appreciate hearing from any experienced Remicade errr laborers(?)

Thank you!!

Jenn
:runaway:

I of course did not get a c-section but I did break my leg on April 9th 2011 and was operated on the leg 4 hours April 14th. My infusion was on April 8th 2011. Sio within a week of my infusion I was operated on the leg.

I had lots of operations in my life and I always healed very well and this time was no exceptions. I had tons of medications while in the hospital but I healed very well and I did not get any infections.

Hope this insights helps you out.

Good luck with the little one :)

That does help Moogie! I haven't had any major surgery since I've started my infusions, but I do think little cuts seem to take longer to heal (although that could be in my head). My last infusion was August 11th and I'm due on February 22nd, so I'm hoping the Remicade will be working to control the Crohn's but out of my system enough to not cause any complications. Thanks for responding. :)

I was on Humira at the time I had a C-section and it didn't take me any longer to heal from it than a regular person. My OBGYN was very pleased with how quick/well it healed.

Good luck to you!!!

No personal experience, but in most places it's normal practice to give IV antibiotics after a C-section to help prevent infection. That may put your mind at ease somewhat, and you may add to your birth plan that you want antibiotics if a C-section is necessary.

Also, try to be really good with your nutrition during your pregnancy, that will help recovery whether natural or C-section. Yellow and orange fruits and vegetables contain lots of beta carotene, which your body converts to Vitamin A and helps support your immune system, so eat those sweet potatoes. :)

I've loaded up on the yellow and red bell peppers and carrots for exactly that reason! I hope it works :) Thanks for the note Mapper!

I ghad my 5th surgery while on infliximab, I had my ileostomy reversed and I must say it took me a lot longer to recover!