• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Caffeine: coffee or tea or else?

Hello, I used to drink 2/3 short coffees a day... I stopped it after some issues on my stomach 2 months ago (GERD symptoms, nausea etcc..)
I've been trying to reintroduce it this last 2 weeks, drinking 2 short coffees (1 morning, 1 afternoon), as I feel very tired the morning and caffeine helps me a lot to start my day with energy and smiles ;p

The problem is now I feel some disconfort in my stomach again, even if i'm using a PPI...

Based on your experiences do you recommend to stop coffee or drink only one short coffee by day, or substitute it with tea or other drinks?

I use to drink at least two cups of coffee a day. Then, caffeine started bothering my stomach and I couldn't drink coffee or coke without getting diarrhea a short time later. I had to cut out caffeine entirely. That is just my personal experience. Everyone is different.

I can't drink regular coffee at all anymore, just the occasional decaf. Some people are able to drink low acid coffee.

Bufford

I limit my coffee to one cup, and don't need more being able to sleep in to a decent hour in retirement. When I was working I drank coffee all morning long to cope with the early shift just to keep awake, and it didn't help my GI tract.

I don't buy coffee at restaurants or stores coffee shops anymore. They make it too strong and it irritates my digestive tract.

I make my coffee at home and I make it weak. They supply coffee at work, I pour half a cup of coffee and fill the rest up with hot water. Same with any hotel that supplies coffee. I only drink one cup a day.

I drink herbal tea and have no problem with it.

I can drink one cup of coffee a day if I'm not in a flare. I have had many debates with myself on whether this is bad for me or not. That is one thing I will not give up if I don't have to. I've had to give up so many things that I love but I allow myself one coffee per day, because it just makes me happy. But yes, everyone is different. I hope the one coffee in the morning and green tea in the afternoon works for you :)

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
I can't have any caffeine as it triggers migraines for me. Even a low amount of caffeine, such as the amount in green tea, is enough for me to get a migraine. My gut issues and migraines started at about the same time, so I'm pretty sure they're related in some way. I can recall that years ago, before the gut issues and before the migraines, when I would drink coffee, I'd have to run to the bathroom with diarrhea shortly after drinking it. So it's never done good things for me even when I was a reasonably healthy person. I don't have any caffeine at all anymore, it's just not worth it to get a migraine. Herbal caffeine-free tea is it for me these days.