• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Calcium supplements while on steroids

Hi!

What calcium supplements are you giving your kids? My son is 9 and 1/2 years old now.

Also..suggestions on digestive enzymes please...

Hi,

I'm currently a teen myself, but I'm currently taking a calcium supplement called Calceos. As I'm still maintaining prednisolone.. It's chewable but chalky and doesn't taste too bad either, a lemon flavoured sweet!

RE the Digestive Enzymes - I personally drink a few Actimel drinks each day. I'm not sure if this is acting as a digestive enzyme, but I'm sure theres no harm in gaining a few probiotics to aid with digestion. It also has added vitamins to support normal functioning of the immune system. I feel this has maybe benefited me due to the possible immune suppression that steroids cause.

Hope this helps :)

Kind Regards

We use a multivitamin that has calcium in it. We switch brands each time because he gets tired of them.

Not sure about digestive enzymes. My son does take a probiotic, yellow label in the fridge.

Actually, I don't think I was helpful on this post at all. Sorry. Hope your boy isn't on the steroids for long.

I take Calcium Citrate (Swanson's). My Professor told me to only take citrate, the other ones are poorly absorbed and won't prevent osteopenia/osteoporosis. Also keep vitamin d level up, otherwise calcium can not be absorbed!