• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Calcium

Cara Fusinato

Sarcastic Forum Comedian
Now that everyone on the board is urging me to stop drinking that glorious milk, I will need some calcium. What's the best and easiest on the stomach. Oh, and I LOVE chews! My husband would even do chews and cut out some of his milk. Oh, I can't even talk about it without wanting some. . . Seriously, I will need some calcium . . . thanks

Calcium Citrate Malate is the most absoroable form of calcium that is the easiest on the stomach.... You have to take more pills with it than with calcium carbonate but it will absorbe a lot better than the carbonate plus you don't have to worry about it only partial breaking down like the carbonate....

I take the GNC Calcimate Plus™ 800

As a dietary supplement, take two tablets at breakfast and two tablets at dinner for a total of four tablets daily.

Supplement Facts
Serving Size 4 Tablets
Servings Per Container 30
Amount Per Serving % DV
Vitamin D (as Ergocalciferol) 200.00 IU 50%
Calcium (as Calcium Citrate Malate) 800.00 mg 80%
Magnesium (as Magnesium Oxide) 100.00 mg 25%
Potassium (as Potassium Chloride) 99.00 mg 3%
** Daily Value (DV) not established

Other Ingredients: Cellulose, Vegetable Acetoglycerides, Titanium Dioxide (Natural Mineral Whitener)

No Artificial Color, No Artificial Flavors, No Starch, No Sugar, Sodium Free, No Preservatives, No Wheat, No Gluten, No Corn, Yeast Free, No Soy, No Dairy

Storage Instructions: Store in a cool dry place.

Warning: After opening, keep tightly closed in refrigerator or other cool place.

S

Skinsfan1229

Is it true, that I've read that being in the sunlight, gives you natural vitamin D, which in turn helps you absorb calcium? or is that vitamin C it helps you absorb I read?

I'll have to double check after I eat and take my pills...

But yes you have to go in the sun to convert Vitamen D2 (what you generally get in food) into D3 (the fat soluable verison of vitamen d that your body uses) which helps support the absorbtion of Calcium... Vitamen C is useful for the formation of collegen and other things... I think that answered your question if not then ask something else I'll be back after I eat and take pills...

S

Skinsfan1229

Nah, I'm pretty sure that answered it. Very knowledgable about vitamins and supplements, do you just read a lot? or know it from work? if you dont mind me asking? I read a lot but not about vitamins and supplements.

I guess if you think about it, lack of or depletion of vitamins and such would be almost like an underlying cause.

D

DannyB

On prescription I get a tablet called calcichew which is purely just calcium supplement

You can get all the vitamin D you need, if you spend each day 15 minutes in the sun between 10 and 12 A.M. . I read this somewhere

K

kix66

Hey there - I take Os Cal Chewables 500+D Lemon Chiffon Flavor. Very tasty!

I was so low on calcium at one point the hospital called me and wanted me to come to the ER. I told them NO, keep the bed open for a person in real need,
i'm fine!

I take it twice a day right after a meal. If I skip a few doses, my hands start to fall asleep, weird I know, I've seen 3 diff. doc's about it and it's related to the calcium.

I don't have any stomach problems from the Os Cal Chewables.

If by chance you can't find them in a local drug store (try Walgreens or Wal-Mart) they can be ordered on-line thru the Os Cal website. No plug for them really, I've been on them for a couple-two-three years now and I love 'em.

Mazen first you must have Vitamen D2 in your body and then go out in the sun for your body to convert it over into Vitamen D3 which is what is actually used by the body.... D2 is the food based verison of Vitamen D that doesn't do anything except acts as a precursor to D3... But, again you must go out in the sun in order for your liver to convert D2 into D3....

H

Heathcroft

Hi Cara- just seen an early post of yours about substituting milk with calcium supplements.

I can't absorm calcium tablets so found that soya milk and soya spread replaces milk and butter fine and is calcium rich (and tastes good) so thats what I use.

I also take a soya protein/vitamin suppliment called Spiru-tein which tastes really good if you blend it up with soya milk and maybe 1/2 a banana for a shake. Hope that is useful.