• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Calling In Sick To Work?

How much is too much? I'm trying to be as conscientious as possible about this, and always feel guilty whenever I call in. I work in health care and have had this particular job for 6 months. I've called in three times so far - two were just for a day when I was having excessive gut symptoms, and a third was when I had the flu and took the week off. I feel like I need reassurance that this is reasonable. How often do you call in?

SarahBear

When I worked full time, I called off once every week or every two weeks, I'd estimate. However, my situation is slightly different, as my boss is a family friend and extremely understanding of my condition.

How open about your condition are you with your employer? Would it be possible to speak with them about it and try to get an idea of what is unacceptable and would require disciplinary actions? If you know that, you may be able to better base your thoughts on the matter.

rygon

I think it is worth ensuring that your manager understand the reason you need the time off. Personally if I feel that it is detriment to my long term health (i.e. if I had a cold I know I could work through it, but if I am having to go to the toilet every 10mins, in pain and cannot concentrate I will take it off).

I have tried being at work when I felt very bad and it only kicked me in the ass (lack of concentration, would not let me go to hospital appointment etc) that now I only think of myself.

Just be aware of your counties employment law. I know in UK they can sack you within year for no reason, I would try my hardest to stay at work for the probational time

My probation period is up (lasted 6 months), and the people I work with as well as my client's family really like me. I know I won't get sacked any time soon, but I still don't want to come across as not working up to par - whether I have a legitimate reason to stay home or not. I also have a terrible fear of letting other people down.

I've disclosed my condition as it was necessary to explain why sometimes I wasn't feeling great but not due to something contagious. In doing that, though, I feel like I have to compensate and work very hard to avoid anyone thinking that I'm not suitable.

rygon

You have to realise your health comes 1st and Im sure evryone at work agrees. Also think that its best to have a few days off to recover and sort yourself out than it is to have a major problem and be away for weeks/months.

As long as you do your best when you are at work then dont worry