• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Calprotectin as a predictor of a forthcoming flare

I'm curious to know if anyone has had a calprotectin test, which showed an elevated level, even though they were feeling fine and not experiencing a flare, but then went on to flare. How long after the test was it before it became physically obvious you were flaring?

I'm asking because my last test (January) is elevated and there is an upward trend but I actually feel fit with no signs of a flare. As a precaution I'm having a colonoscopy on 25th February so it will be interesting to see what the gut looks like from inside.

Catherine

My daughter medication were increased due to high calprotectin results. She had no symptoms of a flare. Maybe a slight problem with lactose.

The latest calprotectin is lower.

Before being diagnosed my first calprotection levels in February 2009 were 82 normal 50< then in September 2009 the level was 20 which i think i was taking prednisone to see if that helped my bowel problems but it wasn't until October 2009 i found out i had Crohns Disease.
In 2012 my calprotection level was 52 and i am waiting for results to my recent test

I've had a normal CRP but a calprotectin of 1000+. I think it is important to know which way it is going - up or down. If it's heading up, you will be in a flare soon, as I've found in the past that symptoms always follow the way the calprotectin is going.

My son was diagnosed in 2011 and had his first Fecal cal in 2012 and it was 587. We were told he was in remission at the time and other than really needing to eat a lot to keep his weight up he felt normal. His GI wanted him tested 3 months later and it went down to 480 and then 6 months after that was about normal at 67. There were no med changes he just took a turn and things got better. I think it just took a long time for healing to take place for him. He has been had a normal fecal cal since then.

Daughter was feeling well, great labs, and declared in remission. A week later he got her fecal cal results of 1800+ and called and said we needed a biologic.

I hope to get another calprotectin test next month after having used Humira for 3 months.

So, the answer to your first question is yes. But we did not wait for symptoms to return. We retested (at my insistance -just to make sure there wasn't an error) then went right into the biologic.

scottsma

My calprotectin level was 300 in early January.(It was my first ever test) G.I put me on Prednisolone for 4wks (tapering weekly)I felt well prior to this.Started flaring 5 days into Pred., and still flaring now.Maybe there was a flare lurking,or maybe it was the Pred.?
I've since had an MRI and have a ultrasound next month.

Thanks for all your responses.

ncman - how long were you between getting a high result and actually going into a flare?
Hi highlandsrock,

To give you a sense of timescales:

October 2014: 1200+
December 2014: 1100
Feb 2014: 169

About a week after the October result, I was in a full flare. And without much prior warning either; there were a few symptoms but nothing majorly wrong.

So this marker does fluctuate a fair bit. The main thing to know is which way it's going as it didn't get to 1200 overnight.

Last edited:
These are helpful posts for me- thanks everyone. I had what seemed like a 'mini-flare' in January, so my gp did this test. it came back at 196. I have not followed up, but now I may have seen blood in stool, too. Would a GI doctor, in your opinion, be concerned about this level?

Catherine

According to our GI, they look at the treatment if the faecal calprotectin is above 200.

Course that only applies if the calprotectin is going up.