• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Calprotectin test and inflammatory markers?

After having the diagnosis of IBS for a number of years and worsening of symptoms my doctor decided to do a inflammatory marker blood test along with calprotectin stool test.

The bloods came back showing inflammation so repeated and came back the same.
Stool test was out of normal range.

Is this protocol for a possible Crohn's diagnosis?
I feel like I may just be on the right rd to getting somewhere

scottsma

Hello and welcome to the forum.I can only tell you of my own experience ,but others will be along with advice when they see your post.I was dx'd in 2006 ,via sigmoidoscopy,with Proctitis,inflamation of the lower bowel/rectum.After a colonoscopy in Sept. I had a calprotectin test in Jan.Level was 300,which is not too high,but I think "normal" level is 50/60.Today I had an MRI scan and await results in about 2wks.It does look like I now have crohns.I hope you get sorted soon.It always seems to take an age for a diagnosis,and it can be stressful and confusing.

Fecal Calpro can be a good indicator. Hopefully you will also have a colonoscopy to confirm. It's good to be sure, then you can start treatment and hopefully feel better.

I had a faecal calprotectin test and my calprotectin level was 550 (my doctor said it should usually be around 0-50). This was the first sign of inflammation. However, my blood tests were normal.

I went on to have a colonoscopy and MRI of my small bowel and both the scan and biopsies confirmed my diagnosis of Crohn's disease. My doctors had been putting my symptoms down to IBS for years so I decided to go private. Good luck and hope you get sorted soon.

I had a calprotectin test and my result was 1120 dispite my bloods appearing normal it took the capsule test to see what was going in which they found inflammation and ulcers

Catherine

Faecal calprotectin can be raised for a number of reasons. Individuals with IBS do not have raised faecal calprotectin.

Your doctor should be looking for the reason.

The doctor has put me forward for a colonoscopy.

This bout started new year and is still going.
Flu like symptoms especially awful headaches, dizziness, extreme weakness and fatigue.
Joint pain, bowel issues, low grade fever, nausea and stomach pain.

Does this all sound familiar?
Thanks for your reply x

crohnsinct

All too familiar. It is good your are moving to colonoscopy. That plus the biopsies obtained during the scope should give you the answers you need.

If they find nothing during colonoscopy, make sure they image the small bowel as the disease can be hiding there and the scope can not reach those areas.

Like Catherine said, elevated FC tests usually point to IBD but they can also be elevated in some cases of Celiac, diverticular disease, proctitis, chronic NSAID use, etc. Scopes and imaging will give you the answers you need.

FWIW, my daughter suffered for three years with "chronic constipation" or "IBS", finally they did an FC test on her and that got her moved to scopes and finally a dx of Crohn's .

Good luck! I hope you get answers and treatment soon.