• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Can anyone eat pineapple?

mwb3779

Kitchenhawk
I love pineapple. I want to know if anyone has had trouble eating it or if the after effects are bad?

GoJohnnyGo

One Badass Dude
A little bit. Only the canned variety though.

Either in a fruit salad, or cooked (in Asian dishes, for instance).

Raw? Nope. I've long assumed it would not agree with me. Haven't tried in years and years.

I suppose I'm one of the odd ones. Citrus does not bother me. I can't eat grapefruit due to heart meds but other than that I can eat most fruits.

C

crazycanuck

I as well would consider me odd then too. I can eat pineapple no problems at all. I do however have a problem with anything fruits or vegetable with a skin but thats for another reason altogether. As for pineapple I've had no problems.

It doesn't seem to bother me if it is cooked or canned. I have eaten a few nibbles of raw as well and it doesn't seem to bother me - but I wouldn't eat very much that way.

mwb3779

Kitchenhawk
Thanks, I think I'm gonna try it soon. I miss it so much. One of my favorite fruits. I used to eat it several times a week. I haven't since going into the hospital the first time. I just want to find some fruit I can eat again other than bananas. Apples didn't sit well with me.

I have before with no problems, there was actually an article not long ago taht one of my bosses gave me, with Coconut and pineapple in the morning and it helped relieve a crohn's paitents symptoms.

mwb3779

Kitchenhawk
A pina cololda for breakfast?? That would great!! Let me know if you find a link to that article. I'd like to read it.

i can't eat pineapple, purely due its consistency - causes plumbing problems lol. but in juice form, it's one of the few i can tolerate without getting indigestion.

Thankfully, yes...it's an excellent natural digestive enzyme along with kiwi, papaya and mangos which help break your food down...if you have a little after each meal it's less work on your intestines, some people use supplement form of it if they cannot handle the actual fruits, with success. I only eat fresh fruits and veggies, I'm okay with them all, cooked or raw ever since taking fibre supplements daily, I've been able to eat all fruits/veggies, roughage with no bloating or gas from them anymore.

:)

I'm not sure where you live, but if you have a "superstore/Extra foods" the PC brand pineapple juice is to die for, honestly it tastes exactly like the pineapple juice from a fresh pinapple, which is good since it's suppose to be 100% pineapple juice with absolutely nothing added...that's the only kind of juices I buy, 100%, nothing added to them.."Simply orange" juice is equally awesome in those respects as well, all natural and super tastey.

mwb3779

Kitchenhawk
I'll try it very soon. I'm happy to hear its good for a lot. Sorry to the other ones who couldn't and can't eat it anymore. :(

Coconut helps with Crohn's
The People's Pharmacy
Athens Banner-Herald | Story updated at 6:54 pm on 10/6/2008

• I read your coconut macaroon article and asked my doctor about using coconut instead of my Crohn's medicine. He said that he has seen it work for others and to give it a try. He said to add pineapple for anti-inflammatory properties.

I have been eating a large pinch of coconut morning and evening for five months and have no Crohn's symptoms. I add the pineapple a couple of times a week.

We are pleased coconut has helped. Not everyone will benefit, however, and a physician should be involved in such decisions.

Donald Agar in Pittsfield, Mass., first discovered that Archway Coconut Macaroon cookies stopped the chronic diarrhea associated with Crohn's (inflammatory bowel disease). He shared his success with us 10 years ago in this column.

Pineapple contains bromelain, an enzyme with anti-inflammatory activity. Yours is the first report that pineapple also might be beneficial for Crohn's.

Yes, coconut is excellent, the meat and the milk/juice of cocnut is super healthy and it contains good fat...quite a few people swear by eating macaroon cookies daily to aid with their IBD.

S

Slandur

pb4 said:
Thankfully, yes...it's an excellent natural digestive enzyme along with kiwi, papaya and mangos which help break your food down...if you have a little after each meal it's less work on your intestines, some people use supplement form of it if they cannot handle the actual fruits, with success. I only eat fresh fruits and veggies, I'm okay with them all, cooked or raw ever since taking fibre supplements daily, I've been able to eat all fruits/veggies, roughage with no bloating or gas from them anymore.

Not only have I heard this, but I drink 8oz of pineapple a day, and I try to eat some Avocado every day as well. It helps to dilute it with water if you can't handle it much, but I must say it DOES help me. I am at least one person who can honestly say that.

mwb3779

Kitchenhawk
I tried a little bit. Gave me gas of the mouth (burps) like crazy. Next time I try it, it will be with beano.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
mwb3779 said:
I tried a little bit. Gave me gas of the mouth (burps) like crazy. Next time I try it, it will be with beano.
I used Beano many years ago but then I read ( and I could be wrong and sure someone will correct me if I am) but it is made from mold :eek2: One of the reasons I stopped using it.

Now I use plant digestive enzymes.

mwb3779

Kitchenhawk
Jettalady said:
I used Beano many years ago but then I read ( and I could be wrong and sure someone will correct me if I am) but it is made from mold :eek2: One of the reasons I stopped using it.

Now I use plant digestive enzymes.
Where do you get those?

I wouldnt recommend eating raw pineapple, its hard to digest. Although its very good for the gut in terms of its anti-inflammatory characteristics, so instead I drink freshly squeezed pineapple juice , hand squeezed (dont use a machine as it can get rid of some of the vitamins) and pour it through a mesh so that all the extra cellulose gets out. Its really nice though one whole pinapple makes about a glass of pineapple juice! :)

I seem to be ok with fresh pineapple... just have to be careful not to have too much of it. If I had any crohns rumblings I wouldn't go anywhere near it, though.
If you have fresh, also be careful to cut off any remnants of nobbly skin that might be left on it.