• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Can anyone make sense of these test results for me?

I had a lot of blood test results outside the normal range...

Is this normal for Crohns patients?

Here are my results:

I'm no expert but if I remember correctly a low hemoglobin indicates bleeding. Now the cause for this could be a variety of issues related to IBD or other things. For example in women this could be common due to menstrual cycle. I personally have had a slightly low hemoglobin which my GI told me I had mild anemia. I was told to eat foods rich in iron such as oatmeal, cereals fortified with iron, meat (red, turkey, chicken), shellfish, legumes, eggs, spinach, etc. To absorb iron better, it is recommended that you take it with foods that contain vitamin C such as citrus and berries. I was also told to cut back on caffeine or not consume with meals as it makes iron harder to absorb.

Of course everyone is different so you may have to adjust this based on the foods you are able to tolerate. I personally work with a registered dietitian to help me navigate this. She has been able to take the information my GI provides and made a customized diet for me. On a side note, my UC is not currently in remission but I am pretty much symptom free and on my way to remission. I have also found I have no food intolerances other than slowly adding back fiber into my diet now that my fecal calprotectin is dropping (currently at 159).

I hope this information helps!

Interesting. I'm currently symptom free and I'm a male so I don't have to worry about a period ;).

Are most of your numbers usually in line or are they wacky like mine?

I'll def inquire about a dietitian.

Hy LeafCrAzy (I'm assuming you are a hockey fan?). Your blood tests show some out-of-ranges but they are not crazy out of range. Ranges vary depending on what labs are doing your blood test. For example, some of your results would actually be in normal range if another company ran your test. When they are really over or really lower that there is a need to be concerned. My son's results are similar - if he has some out of range, they are very close to the norm. His doctor doesn't seem concerned. Of course, if things keep going the wrong direction, then that means something. Your CRP is 9.9 - and normally anything under 10 is considered ok.... so I would keep check on that one. Has your doctor called to discuss anything. If he/she hasn't, I wouldn't worry but keep checking your numbers and check if they change in the future.

Interesting. I'm currently symptom free and I'm a male so I don't have to worry about a period ;).

Are most of your numbers usually in line or are they wacky like mine?

I'll def inquire about a dietitian.
So my numbers are usually within normal range with the exception of when I was first diagnosed. Honestly, I was surprised to hear a few were out of range similar to you as I felt fine. My GI wasn't too concerned...he pretty much told me "see you in 3 months and we'll see what your labs show then. Call me if you feel bad or anything changes."

So I guess try not to worry too much or fixate on the numbers. I know I tend to worry but I have to remind myself not to stress too much about it. If they were really off range and indicated trouble, I'm sure your GI would mention it.

Scipio

If these were my numbers the only one I would be concerned about is the CRP of 9.9. That is on the high side, suggesting that there is some low or moderate level of inflammation going on somewhere in your body (may or may not be due to Crohn's). 9.9 is not super high but high enough to keep an eye on.

Hy LeafCrAzy (I'm assuming you are a hockey fan?). Your blood tests show some out-of-ranges but they are not crazy out of range. Ranges vary depending on what labs are doing your blood test. For example, some of your results would actually be in normal range if another company ran your test. When they are really over or really lower that there is a need to be concerned. My son's results are similar - if he has some out of range, they are very close to the norm. His doctor doesn't seem concerned. Of course, if things keep going the wrong direction, then that means something. Your CRP is 9.9 - and normally anything under 10 is considered ok.... so I would keep check on that one. Has your doctor called to discuss anything. If he/she hasn't, I wouldn't worry but keep checking your numbers and check if they change in the future.
Yes, a leafs fan ;)

haha, if you think 9.9 is high you should have seen my last one, it was high 90's!

Thank you everyone for the support and feedback. It has helped calm me a bit. It's alarming to see all your #'s our of range, the one I was most worried about was the RDW.

Lady Organic

Staff member
A high Platelet count can be a sign of inflammation. This marker is always elevated in my reports when I have a flare up. Sometimes, its the only marker that can orient I am in a flare up when it is debuting or mild.
As Spicio also pointed out, your CRP is elevated and is also an indicator of inflammation.
These 2 elevated markers may be worth discussing with GI or nurse imo to make sure you are not only in clinical remission (symptom free), but also in endoscopic full remission.

I just had a couple of MRI's this week to check that!

I was feeling great up until this weekend. Actually gastro wise I feel fine, it's more fatigue and headaches that have me feeling off.

Glad to hear my #'s are completely off the wall.

I wouldn't say your numbers are off the wall, but just a little off. You are on top of it, and that's good. If you have your previous blood panels, you can compare them and see how the numbers are changing. As you mentioned, your crp was in the 90s and now is 9.9. It took a long time before my son saw his numbers fall towards normal ranges.

78C907C0-2B9E-42E6-893A-DED4FCE01C9D.png
Here are some of mine , but I still have inflammation and a lot of flares I am on vitamin D (50,000u) and folic acid as well as b-12. Humira is taken every two weeks (40mg3891F08E-CDC4-4398-9E3F-D036AF2E9DD0.png

Nope , mine don’t change much at all and I still have inflammation my joints kill me . Humira is supposed to help but no change so far and I will be taking my 6th dose next week

Nope , mine don’t change much at all and I still have inflammation my joints kill me . Humira is supposed to help but no change so far and I will be taking my 6th dose next week
I wanted to add also I don’t have many Gastro issues . I had more of those before I had the obstruction now I just have joint pain with fatigue headaches and random fevers 🙄

Yea I call it my foggy brain, I can’t focus and it’s almost like I’m dizzy but not if that makes sense. But my fevers are so random and usually only come at night and I have really bad body aches but it’s gone by the next morning and I feel fine .