• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Can anyone take naltrexone

Was reading up here on this drug and not sure if u can take it if u have allergies or yeast problems and what happens if u take it while u have these problems

JDTM

OMG LDN BBQ
Hi Matty,

I've also heard that if you have candida (yeast) overgrowth, it's best to get that under control before starting LDN. That said, I don't know what happens specifically if you take LDN with the overgrowth -- it might just interfere with the LDN, so there is no effect to the medication. I'm also unfamiliar with allergies interfering with LDN. The side-effect profile is low, and I haven't heard about any adverse reactions from folks who have taken LDN, so perhaps it isn't an issue. Some people have reported things getting worse before they get better, but in general, I haven't heard of anyone having an allergic reaction to LDN or any bad side effects aside from vivid dreams.

Thanks for replying. I am researching this drug, seeing gastro dr in early March. I know she wants me to start imuran but I going to ask her for this one.

JDTM

OMG LDN BBQ
Sounds good, just be prepared to make your case as LDN is not "standard-of-care." It's a relatively unproven drug, as it's still in trials and there haven't been too many published studies on it. The other thing to keep in mind is that depending on the severity of your case, a more heavy duty course of action might also be the way to go. If it works for you, LDN can be very effective, but it's also very slow acting. If you have active inflammation that's really doing some damage to your gut, it might be a good idea to get that under control beforehand. Keep us updated on what happens, and best of luck!!

I will update if she gives me. My pathology report last month states moderate crohns. I was so depressed that day because was mild since first diagnosed with ibd in 2007.