• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Can Crohns cause hydrocele in men?

It just popped in my mind while ago if CD could cause hydrocele in grown men. An ultrasound revealed a small one in my man's left testicle. Sorry if its a stupid question but it makes me wonder.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
"Sometimes a hydrocele is associated with an inguinal hernia, in which a weak point in the abdominal wall allows a loop of intestine to extend into the scrotum and which may require treatment." http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hydrocele/DS00617/DSECTION=symptoms

I think its VERY possible. I don't hear it mentioned often on here (this might be the first time actually) but it doesn't seem out of the ordinary as Crohn's causes inflammation/problems throughout the body (joints, eyes, skin etc) for many people.

"Sometimes a hydrocele is associated with an inguinal hernia, in which a weak point in the abdominal wall allows a loop of intestine to extend into the scrotum and which may require treatment." http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hydrocele/DS00617/DSECTION=symptoms

I think its VERY possible. I don't hear it mentioned often on here (this might be the first time actually) but it doesn't seem out of the ordinary as Crohn's causes inflammation/problems throughout the body (joints, eyes, skin etc) for many people.
I think its very possible too. He has alot of trouble going to the bathroom and straining like that could cause it. It makes sense to me. The ultrasound didnt show any hernias or other abnormalities. We didnt even know he had it. So mabye its been there awhile. And the multiple inflamations is right on with him. Eyes flare and get ulcers. Joints flare. He gets red dry skin on his face. I think he might have some form of inflamatory arthritis if theres such a thing. This forum is so great. I dont have anyone who can understand half the stuff I talk about when it comes to Crohns.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
An x-ray will show arthritis. Arthritis is very common in people with Crohn's (I have Osteoarthrosis/Degenerative joint disease myself and I just turned 30). Arthritis is inflammation that causes degeneration of the joints. So yes, there is such a thing. ;)

nogutsnoglory

My MRI showed hydrocele but made no mention of hernia. I have crohns but I don't see a correlation. Hydroceles are annoying!

I know this is an old post, but here is. I've been hospitalized about 6 times in the last year. Each and every time it happens the same way. Step one: Severe and VERY painful Crohn's attack. Step 2: One or both testicles swell to the size of a grapefruit within 20 hours. Step 3: Minimum one week in a hospital bed. Neither ultrasounds or cat scans catch an inguinal hernia BUT both of those tests are performed while lying flat on your back. As soon as I stand you can physically see the inguinal hernia pop out. You see it. The Doctors see it, feel it and agree it's there, but refer back to the test results and do nothing about it. Step 4: Repeat pattern next month. In the downtime take $3600 worth of Pentasa for the rest of your days.