• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Can diet really make a difference?

Hi Everyone!

I'm very new to any kind of support group. This is my first group and once I find one near home, I'd like to join a support group and meet ppl in person. I'm a single parent of 3 beautiful kids. I've been diagnosed with Crohn's since I was 15 yrs old. I'm now 33 and been thru all kinds of meds for my disease. It never occurred to me that one day I might be in a bag. Well, that news was broken to me last week. I'm scared and I just can't find the comfort in having it done. My surgery is set for Sept 2013. I have bout 2 1/2 mths to change this around and perhaps prolong that surgery. Docs tell me that being gluten free and diary free will do nothing for my disease that I will need surgery. I guess I'm just holding on to my last thread of hope and will cont with this diet bc in my head beats getting that surgery done. I'd love to hear stories. Anyone felt the way I feel now? . How did you get thr it? I'm open to any suggestions.

There isn't a clear cut answer concerning diet. Sometimes a diet does help Crohns and other IBD condition greatly, and other times sadly it does not.

There is a diet support section on the sight. It can be seen at:

http://www.crohnsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=288

If looking to meet in person with others to discuss ideas you might look into the GAP diet. I have not attended a GAP gathering, but have seen there is a support net work for this diet.

Other popular diets are the SCD and Paleo.

http://gaps.me/preview/?page_id=496

Very best of luck. On a personal note I have a form of colitis. Diet along with a few supplements such as vitamin D reaching a testing value between 50 to 70ng/ml, magnesium, etc, have helped me greatly. I follow paleo ideas, but have needed to personalize the diet in order to fit my needs.

Thank you so much. Yea I may hace been a little broad. Jus new to all this. I have so many questions and concerns. Guess ill jus keep poking around and my favorite is hearing other stories. I'm jus trying to feel comfortable about the entire surgery situation.

nogutsnoglory

Some people report amazing success by making changes to their diet while others stay the same or fare worse. There is no Crohn's diet as we are all so different. One thing though is that we all do feel better by eating healthy foods that agree with us. I don't know if diet can reverse the course of your disease but certainly it can help with disease symptoms like diarrhea, gas, bloating and cramps.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
As had been said, diet is a highly individual thing, just as it is for those without IBD.

What is going on with your bowel that you need surgery and a bag?
Unfortunately there are some complications with Crohn's that no medication or diet will ever correct and I am wondering if you fall into that category.

Dusty. xxx

Hi DustyKat! My disease unfortunatley lays at my rectum part of the colon. My GI has tried it all with me (med wise) and right now I'm on Cimzia once a mth past 1 1/2 yrs and a tablespoon of Miralax to help with constipation. Of course this works for a little while, now its every other week I have a flare up. I noticed doctors doesnt really discuss with me about diet just meds. I've heard about healthy eating can help with IBD. I never tried since I listened to Drs that diet wont help with Crohn's. I understand that it won't cure my disease. But if I can find a diet that helps with my inflammation which allows me to have a BM once a day I would be just so ecstatic!

Hi there! I was recently diagnosed with Crohns after surgery in Feb due to an impaction. I ended up needing a colostomy as a result. For me, it's temporary, and I will be planning the reversal to happen by the end of the year.

When I found out what happened after surgery, I thought it was the end if the world... I was afraid my husband was going to leave me, I felt so ins reactive, and I thought it was down right gross.

I fortunately have an amazing support network, and my husband is wonderful! I can't believe how much better I feel since Ginger, my stoma, came into my life! Look at it this way... You won't need to run to the bathroom all the time! You can get through a conversation without having to go!

It's not easy, but it will get easier!

To the post above..^^ Oh my Goodness! To find out the way you did I'm sure that must've been traumatizing. But to know that you've come to learn how to deal with your new friend and naming it, I think is incredibly amazing. Dr said there's a 30% chance mine could be reversed. It all depends if my colon will heal. It's so much to take in that for me with diet continuing to take my meds and prayers that maybe my inflammed colon will calm down. If not, learning as much info as I can bout the colostomy and how to care for it and the changes I hope will help me deal with this matter emotionally.

I'm here if you ever want to talk about it! I thought it was going to be the end of the world, and I cried and cried about it. It took me about 1.5 months before I was even able to look at it, much less help with changing it. Now I feel like a semi-pro! It's really not that bad! Good luck! :) Hope you feel better!!