• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Can drs. deny treatment

While trying to find a new PCP for my son for referral and such I called this one Doctor office of Alfret Shakespeare in Ranson, WV and was turned for being a new patient because of his Crohn's and taking Zoloft!

Sounds like decrimination to me. Is that legal for a doctor to screen patients over the phone and refuse them, even if they have good insurance?:stinks:

It is my understanding that a doctor can refuse new patients and even fire patients for any reason they choose. It's the same with any other "business", they have the right to refuse service if they want.

nogutsnoglory

Doctors can refuse patients. It sounds like this is a doctor you wouldn't want to see if he simply can't treat someone because they have Crohn's and take an anti-depressant.

CarolinAlaska

Holding It Together
While trying to find a new PCP for my son for referral and such I called this one Doctor office of Alfret Shakespeare in Ranson, WV and was turned for being a new patient because of his Crohn's and taking Zoloft!

Sounds like decrimination to me. Is that legal for a doctor to screen patients over the phone and refuse them, even if they have good insurance?:stinks:
I think it is good for docs to screen patients. That way you don't get in to see them and then after the first visit they tell you that they don't think they are the right one to help.

True, but in Virginia I've never heard of this. Maybe I should just try to switch him back to this steller pediatric group here. They may say he needs to get another group because he's turning 19. And the drive is much further bringing him back to Va. and then taking him back to WV. We see the GI that would give the referral for john hopkins on Wednesday. Brad has started having formed stools for the past few weeks, here and their, not always. But its the first time in years. I think its the coconut and probiotics. what do you think of him start to have formed stools?

CarolinAlaska

Holding It Together
I'm wondering the same about my daughter. I find it encouraging, like something is working right. I would be even more encouraged if she didn't have any more abdominal pain... I think formed stools is a great sign with both UC and c.diff... I certainly would keep up what he's doing.

Rubbing her feet

Dear Carolin,
Just a suggestion from 25 years experience doing foot reflexology. Why don't you try rubbing her feet. The abdomin on the feet is located between the balls of the feet and the ill. Use some thick cream and good firm pressure rubbing the with the thumbs and rotating that with rubbing in circles with your knuckles balled up making circles. Let me know! :lol:

CarolinAlaska

Holding It Together
What is the ill on the feet? I will try, but Jae has a thing about feet. She thinks they are gross and she may not let me touch hers...

The nerve endings are located in the feet, mostly. So by rubbing that area you are going to help he abdominal pain hopefully. If you have a firm grip she may not respond negatively so, so when you take her feet into your hand use a firm grip, don't tiggle her. Let me know!

I actually tried reflexology last year.
I had become desperate and was willing to try just about anything.
To my surprise - it gave me amazing pain relief.
I would also recommend trying it.