• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Can Humira improve nasal allergy symptoms?

Hello,

I have had super severe allergies around any down products, such as down pillows or down comforters. This has been the case for about 10 years or so. It began as a mystery about 10 years ago, where I couldn't breathe when sleeping and I thought there was something wrong with my house or my heating system since I'd never experienced allergies to my down products, but after signficant investigation I discovered that it was my down products. My allergist confirmed that I'm not allergic to the feathers but rather, something else in these products which she does not test for. Anyways, regardless, I finally bought a down pillow recently, which I placed a couple towels on to have as a barrier between my nose and the pillow. I've noticed over the past few months that I no longer need the barrier and it's as though I never had this allergy. Initially I thought that my allergy improvement was due to supplementing with vitamin D but in fact, I haven't really supplemented all that much with D. I'm speculating that my improvment may be due to taking Humira.

I'd be interested in any thoughts or comments. Could HUmira possibly be responsible for this? I've heard of TH1 and TH2 and I've heard of histamine reactions, but I'm really ignorant on these matters. All I know is that Humira blocks tnf alpha, and I don't know whether tnf alpha has any relation to nasal allergies, thanks!

I have nasal issues and have been on humira for around six months. No improvement on nasal problems . Hopefully Your nasal problems are cured . For what ever reason count Your blessings .

Judith

Crohnsforum Science Advisor
Mark,
I am glad you are having a positive effect with your allergy symptoms.

It is possible Humira may have something to do with it. Humira acts by neutralizing TNF α - a major player in [wiki]Inflammation[/wiki] and Allergies.

I definately would not take such a heavy hitter like Humira for your nasal allergy symptoms but it is a welcome side effect I am sure.

A couple other things that may also be contributing factors:
- Your new down pillow may not have been processed with the same chemicals as your old down pillows

- Your old pillows may have contained dust mites or fungus. This may explain why your allergy test came back negative to the down.

- It is actually possible to "outgrow" allergies in certain circumstances

- If you have a food allergy, avoidance of the food could have a positive effect on your environmental allergies as well.

- Are you taking any medication that may have an anti-allergy effect that could explain your lack of symptoms? Some medications that could be effective here include:
- Steroids / Prednisone
- Singulair (montelukast) / Leukotriene Synthesis Inhibitors
- Flonase / Nasocort / etc.
- Omega 3 Fatty Acids / EPA / DHA
- Benadryl / Tylenol PM / Diphenhydramine
- Some medications used for sleep will have antihistamine type effects
- Allegra / Zyrtec / loratadine / etc.
- Some antidepressant medications can have anti-allergy effects

It is possible the Humira is helping out with your allergic rhinitis. I am happy your allergies are better whatever reason. :)

Thanks for the info Judith.

When I bought this pillow just a few months ago it would plug up my nose terribly. I had to use several towels plus position my face upward away from the pillow. And slowly the problem has gotten better. I did get this pillow from Macy's, which is where I've always gotten my down products. The only difference with this one is it is the 'Hotel Collection', so if they're using chemicals that are triggering me, then maybe the Hotel Collection chemicals are dissipating. The last one I tried was some fancy one from Dux Bedding company and I couldn't come within 2 feet of it without my nose plugging up completely for 2 hours.

I even had some bit of nose-plugging with the brand new "down-alternative" blankets that Macy's sold, so maybe some other chemicals they use is to blame. My allergist cleared me of all possible allergies for dust mites, feathers, and everything on the whole panel except grass.

It was rather startling though when the allergy hit me because it was so sudden and severe. And it seems odd that I was afflicted by my old items and then became even more afflicted by the newer items I attempted to purchase in their place. I guess I keep speculating that it has something to do with my vitamin D levels.

I've been without any down products for probably 10 years because of this, and prior to 10 years ago I used down products for several years without issue, so it's quite a bizarre mystery to me, but I know that my body has become abberant in so many ways since moving to Seattle. I wish I was more employable, I'd love to try moving to a sunny climate and see what some regular infusions of sunlight would do for me.

I'm not taking any of the meds you mention other than pred, which I've taken for almost 2 years, so nothing new there.

The food allergy possibility is one I'd have to think about and review my food diary to see if there is anything there possibly.

Will be interesting to see what happens if/when I discontinue humira.

Thanks again for your input.

Judith

Crohnsforum Science Advisor
I have Macy's Hotel Collection down bedding as well (down bed and down comforter). I love them. Unfortunately, my husband and I are both allergic to feathers and down. So, guests get the luxury bedding suite. :) There is no substitute for a quality down product..... sigh.
I am happy to hear about your mystery. Please keep me updated if you figure it out or whenever you decide to discontinue Humira. I am curious!
:)