• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Can i emigrate

Hi i am just in the process of being diagnosed with crohns. Before falling ill i was in the process of moving to Cambodia (poor health service there). If i stick to the correct diet lifestyle and Never cheat is this still possible or will i be stuck in the uk for the rest of my life? For the record im 46

Hi Paul, I do not know much about Cambodian's health service, but the management of Crohn's is an important factor not to get yourself into trouble in the mid and long term with this unfortunately chronic disease.

What has your doctor told you about medication for your case? Whereever you want to live in Cambodia would have to have a gastroentereologist who knows about Crohn's. At least this is my view. Of course, it would be a lot easier if you already know a lot about Crohn's, what drugs work for you, that you can keep in remission with a certain diet etc. But I understand you were just diagnosed, so it might be hard to effectively manage it. Do you have a lot of symptoms? Are there any immediate problems you have (narrowings in the intestine, fistulas, mineral deficiencies etc.?).

Thanks for getting back i do have a fistula and inflamed bowel in 2 places just waiting for a cat scan and only started on Steroids 1 week ago dont even have diet sheet yet so really struggling. Think its safest to put everything on hold and when/if im well enough to travel in the next 6 months will do my homework re gastroenterologist at a private hospital