• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Can I Have a Pet?

I have Crohn's and I get remicade infusions every 8 weeks for the past 3 years and it keeps it under control quite well. I've been thinking of getting a cat and I just wanted to know if that's a wise thing to do. I know there are basic things I should do like wash my hands after cleaning the litter box (duh! who DOESN'T wash their hands after cleaning a litter box, whether they have Crohn's or not?!) But is it generally safe to have pets when using Remicade? I don't really get sick. In fact I think I had a cold once in the last 3 years and it didn't last any longer than it normally does. Any thoughts from anyone? Anyone here have pets? Do they make you sick? I've Googled for advice but I just keep getting links to pages about cats and dogs who have crohn's, so not much help out there.

my little penguin

Staff member
Ds has been on biologics for 5 years
And had a pet for over two of them
Just like anything else wash your hands
And keep the pets shots up to date etc..
No issues otherwise

Of course you van have a pet! The happiness they give you will probably cancel out any risks ;)

To be honest I've never even thought about that before but have always had cats and will continue to do so. I don't let them onto the bench etc and obviously washing your hands after cleaning the litter tray but as you say who wouldn't do that?

Please post a picture of the lucky pet!

Maya142

Staff member
We have multiple cats and a dog and TWO kids on biologics! No issues, even though the dog is old and gets infections often.

We were told my daughters should not touch the litter box since they're immunosuppressed, so my husband gets that lovely job.

But honestly, I think our vet was just being cautious. I would just wash your hands well. You could even wear disposable gloves.

I have always had pets, (cats) i was more concerned about being around sick people, but haven't worried about that for years.

We're in the process of doing our research as we too are considering getting a pet, a puppy.
We recently dog sat for a couple of nights and it reminded us how much we loved having a dog around, and how it really cheered us both up.
We're having Christmas and new year with family in Sweden and don't want to have to put a fairly new pup in kennels, but come the new year we're definitely going to welcome a new canine member into the family :)
To be honest, I hadn't thought of the hygiene aspect of owning a pet but as everyone has said, normal hand washing and common sense would be the way to go.
Enjoy your new pet, I know we're going to enjoy ours :)
Bunty x

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
I have horses, cats and fish at home...and regular access to my Mom's dogs....NEVER had any issues...even have walked BAREFOOT in the pasture :ywow::ywow: with no issues. That being said, I don't make a point of getting dirty and not washing :shifty:.....

Oh - I just visited the National Zoo in Washington DC and was about 5 feet away from 2 loins :ywow::ywow::D:D without a care in the world...

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
For those who aren't allowed to touch litter boxes or just don't want to scoop, there are a number of automatic self-scooping litter boxes on the market. (Do your research because some are junk and only a few are actually worth buying.) You only have to empty the poo/clump collection bin like once per week. I have one and I love it!

As far as pets, I have a dog, a cat, and 2 gerbils. As far as I know, none of them have ever gotten me sick. But they do provide me with endless amusement, companionship, and love. Pets are the best!

Ha ha, I misread and thought you said you have a cat, a dog, and two gorillas!
Note to self..get an eye test ;)
Bunty x

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Ha ha, Bunty! I actually did something similar myself. I'm in the hospital right now (flare, yay) and there's a checklist for the nurses on a dry-erase board in my room. One of the item written there is "glucose checks". I glanced at it and for a moment thought it said "glucose cakes" and I was like, that sounds slightly gross but maybe it could be tasty? Hah.

Hmmm, glucose cakes, I imagine something very sticky like baklava.
Sorry you're in hospital Cat, I see you've maintained your sense of humour though :)
Bunty x

I think it is a nice idea to have dogs/cats. I have now, and no issue with that, only wool on the sofa(y)check out one more time with your doctor:unsure:Because I am too allergic, I was too afraid to have a pet. From childhood, I wanted to have a dog but because of my health, I couldn’t. I went to a doctor and he said that now it is okay and I can have a pet. On this pet blog Petsoid I found out a lot of useful info about how exactly u need to carry about your pet. I like this blog because all info is free for everyone and u can trust info that they offer. Just take a minute to look over this site for more info! Good luck to u!

Last edited by a moderator:
AIEC has been seen in household pets like cats and dogs, it is one of the possible explanations for the household clustering. Another explanation would be foodborne infections with campylobacter or salmonella, this is a theory Anthony Segal supports. An initial Campylobacter or salmonella infection would compromise the epithelial barrier, allowing the chronic entry of other pathogens like E coli .

View attachment 4016

We have three .. Neko the cat is the oldest at about 12 years old, she is very loving and like typical cats, wants that loving on her terms! LOL Then came Hershey our bunny, he is about 5 years old now and also loves to be handled. Finally there is Jenny, our rescued Anatolian Shepherd. She is about 5. Neko and Jenny will often sleep on the bed (at the foot, or cuddled up to my husband) with us. I don't think I have ever had a health issue with them. They definitely help with the depression that I have. Whenever I get down, Jenny knows and will not leave me alone. Like Maya142, my hubby gets the chore of cleaning the litter box and bunny kennel. but I help with keeping everyone fed and watered. I highly recommend that if you have the time and ability to care for a pet, get one. The benefits definitely outweigh the cons.