• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Can I still take Humira/Entocort if I have a cold?

Hi everyone,

I just started Humira on Monday with my loading dose (4 shots) and I'm also on 9 mg of entocort for another 3 weeks....

I woke up this morning with a sore throat and congested nose--think it is just a cold, but I was wondering if I should stop taking the Entocort and since I'm also on Humira do I need to call my doc to make sure I don't end up with a serious infection?

I don't want to be a hypochondriac but I know right now my immune system is suppressed and I don't want it to turn into something more serious.

Thanks for your answers! :)

Hmmm, I'd probably call since you just had a big loading dose on Monday of this week. I wouldn't be so worried about the entocort since it is more localized (which is nice!) - but I might be with the Humira. Yep - I'd call.

It'll be okay, you can't really UN-do your Humira shots that you currently have. I would call and make sure they don't wanna push back your next loading dose, but I think you should be fine. I've had colds whilst taking Pred, Humira and Imuran... also currently have a sinus infection and I was taking Humira, Imuran and azithromycin.

I would call about your next loading dose though!

imisspopcorn

Punctuation Impaired
If you have a sore throat, always get it checked out. Even if it is just mild. The ant inflammatory meds can really mask the pain associated with a strep infection.

Thanks for the advice, everyone! I called the doc's office and they said to continue taking all my meds. Like Katie said, I can't undo the Humira and they said Entocort should be fine to keep taking.

They did insist that I pay attention to my symptoms, however, and go in to my regular doc if they get worse or I get a fever. So, I was being over cautious but I guess better safe than sorry...

If your throat gets red like the color of a stop sign (this is what my GP would tell me) - get your booty in there and get strep tested - that is the main worry at this point. And as Katie said, if it is time for your next Humira shot - and you are still feeling crappy - better call and make sure it is ok to do it. Hope you feel better!