• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Can imuran work fast?

I've been told it can take up to 6 mts to get the full effects of Imuran. I am wondering though, is it possible for it to start working in as little as two weeks? I was in a lot of pain, and was experiencing new symptoms. I wasn't on any meds-so I went back to the doc who put me back on Imuran (75mg) It's only been 12 days, but I feel a hell of a lot better. Curious if it's really rare, or if it's just working wonders for me. Thanks ;)

WHy wouldn't my GI put me on prednisone as well? I have a colonsocopy scheduled for the end of August. It is the first one with this new GI. Would he be waiting to see these results before putting me on Pred? Maybe I wasn't clear enough as to how awful I have been feeling.

I've been on imuran for about a month and it hasn't fully worked yet. Im still having pain after eating. But I started out diagnosed in the er. Came home and was put on prednisone. I've sinced weaned. I got cushings and i hope to never take prednisone agian. I got it only after 2-3 months of use at 20mg. My gi said i was sensitive to it. My gi told me it can take about 6 weeks to work. But from what i've read its more like 8-12weeks.

I noticed a difference with Imuran in about 2 weeks, and it got better over time, to the point where I barely have any cramping anymore. Good luck!

Hey Kacey, I'm in the same boat as you at the moment it seems. I started Azathioprine (50mg) about three weeks ago and have already noticed a reduction in my symptoms. I know most people say this is too early to know, but I have a good feeling about it. Hopefully we are the lucky ones and this quick response is due to the Azathioprine working for us. We can at least look at it as a good sign that the we haven't had a bad reaction, because those can come on quickly.
Wishing you the best of luck,
f_else

I am now on my 3rd week of Imuran (50mg) and aside from having minor headaches, I am starting to feel like my chrohns is starting to get under control. I have heard it can take roughly 3 months to get the full effect, but can't help to get excited that I am feeling better. I just hope it keeps going in the direction that it is.

I take it allllll back!! I am almost on month 3 of treatment, and symptoms have not only restarted, but they are getting worse! I have terrible cramping, worse then ever. I go to the bathroom more frequently and my colonoscopy showed lots of inflammation! The doc says I should wait another month to see if the imuran will begin to take it's effect. The next step would be remicade, which I'd rather not wait as I know from experience that the remicade process can be quite extensive an time consuming (approval for insurance, X-rays etc...) I called his office today and asked the nurse to tell him that I'd rather just get the remicade process started as I am not sure I can do this anymore. It's interfering with work, I cramp up and need to sit for several minutes at a time (which is RIDICULOUS seeing as I work with Senior Kindergartens!!!) It's getting intolerable. Any advice?? Do you think I did the right thing by calling the office to request remicade instead of waiting for another month on imuran??

Hope yours works better than mine. I am taking 7x50mg per day and still having pain. Will be moving to remicade as soon as I get more info on it.

Hi,

When i started on Aza (75mg) i noticed a slight improvement in BM's within 3/4 weeks.
But it took over 20 weeks to get a formed stool which was not urgent.By then my Dr had increased the dose to 150mg.All the other symptoms i had (gut pain,mouth ulcers,rashes etc) slowly got better over that period as well.
But the side affects and very low White blood cell count resulted in having to stop the drug.My WBC was 2.8 - my IBD nurse phoned me with the result and told me to stop straight away.
Aza got Crohn's into remission for me but i couldn't tolerate it.