• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Can IV iron cause discoloured stool?

I had bad GI bleed over June, and a incident 2+ weeks ago in July. My stools were very dark brown or black. I needed two blood transfusions. The last one was 2 weeks ago. My stool colour did return to a normal looking brown. But last Thursday I had iv iron venafor and since then my stool is like a brown/dark grey. I did read iv iron can cause dark looking stool but can't confirm this from a good source

http://www.healthcaremagic.com/premiumquestions/What-causes-dark-stool-after-iron-transfusion/195099

I don't think I've lost any more blood, I know what that feels like. Your energy bottoms out and although it is still low, it hasn't bottomed out.

Can anyone relate or know if iv iron can cause this?

I never had darken stool from IV iron(just oral iron). However, right after the iron infusion my urine would be tinted reddish-brown. The nurse said that was normal.

well my stool colour improved 5 days after the infusion which is what that site suggested. So it may be true. I have another this Wed, double the dose. Will be interesting to see what happens with colour again.

I've had 11 IV infusions in the past 2.5 years and never had a weird poo color from it (have used both venafor and injectafor - at different times, of course). They never followed a blood transfusion, so maybe having both in a short period of time is what made the change?

Malice, was your Injectafer given as an IV infusion? How did you tolerate it vs Venofer?
Both were done as IV infusions. For both, the first time I got a mini dose to make sure ther was no reaction and from then on I go regular doses. I never had any problems with either one, apart from my general I hate IVs mental block that I got over really fast once I realized it was this or a full blown transfusion ( which I have never done because I am terrified of contamination). I also have very few standard crohn's symptoms so I my reaction may be less typical.

Has anyone here had any weird side effects from the IV Iron? My GI finally agreed i would be a candidate for it, gonna wait til after my colonoscopy. I don't like IV's much but if it is as good as the people I have talked to say it is I will be there early to start! My Dr for a while would just say the side effects are too much and to try the pills. Everyone I have talked to though complained of basically no side effects.

I think the pills are much worse than the IV infusion. The IV won't rip your gut to shreds, cause constipation, etc., but of course that depends upon your tolerance for the IV form since there can be complications from that. Button my experience, it's been awesome.

Has anyone here had any weird side effects from the IV Iron? My GI finally agreed i would be a candidate for it, gonna wait til after my colonoscopy. I don't like IV's much but if it is as good as the people I have talked to say it is I will be there early to start! My Dr for a while would just say the side effects are too much and to try the pills. Everyone I have talked to though complained of basically no side effects.

I think the pills are much worse than the IV infusion. The IV won't rip your gut to shreds, cause constipation, etc., but of course that depends upon your tolerance for the IV form since there can be complications from that. Button my experience, it's been awesome.
The pills just churn in my gut, i got some "gentle iron" pills and liquid iron, i also take less than the usual 65mg rite aid type pills. But i still am waking up in the night several times with just pain. Different from my normal GI pains and cramps too.

Thanks for the insight

You may want to have your dr double check to see if you need preauthorization for the IV. In 2014 I didn't need it, but in 2015 I did. Might have been the difference between Injectafor and Venifor ( spelling??) or maybe just change in new calendar year. Working on pre approval now as I need another round next week and it takes our company five days minimum to process it. And they are not cheap... I was shocked to see prices in the States running anywhere from $800-1,800 before insurance, so it really is important to make sure you have it covered.