• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Can my supervisor do this?

Hi I am Charlotte . I work in a call centre and I am 4 months pregnant and have ibd. She has a new rule now that no one is allowed to go to the toilet unless it is their break time and we have to collect and sign for a key

Bufford

I am into retirement, but when I was on the job I made it in no uncertain terms that when I needed to use the toilet there was no stopping me from doing so. The bathroom is a basic right for everyone. Be assertive, don't let anyone stop you from doing so.

That is a ridiculous rule. I agree with Bufford, be assertive and perhaps have a good talk with your supervisor. Perhaps you can opt to work an extra 15 minutes at the end of the day - although you should have the right to use the facilities when need be. Sounds like people were taking too many breaks and because of it, everyone has to suffer. Good luck and let us know what occurred.

Hi I am Charlotte . I work in a call centre and I am 4 months pregnant and have ibd. She has a new rule now that no one is allowed to go to the toilet unless it is their break time and we have to collect and sign for a key
It is absolutely NOT ok what she is doing! What I would do is approach your HR rep and talk to them. You can explain that you have a medical condition that doesn't allow for you to "wait" at times to use the restroom. They may request a letter from your doc to verify, but under the Americans with Disabilities Act, they must make REASONABLE accommodations. This does not mean you have to disclose what your diagnosis is, just that you need certain accommodations. This is what I did with my company when I was working and they had no problem with it .. and I was a truck driver! You work in a building which means it should be even less of an issue.

BTW, I feel for you, I did call centre work for a few years .. and hated it! Your supervisor is probably just concerned with her shift stats and doesn't really give a rats back side for you.

Hello, turn on the charm, buy her a tray of doughnuts and ask your GP/ doctor to write you a letter about your medical condition.
Tell her you can make up the time lost when comfortable. Meanwhile, go online and look for a better job. If you are young, the possibilities are endless including working from home.