• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

can one ileum erosion test positive and one negative for crohns?

Hey

I have a question hopefully someone in here can answer, i had a colonoscopy for suspected crohns they found an erosion in my terminal ileum, the biopsy came back non specific, my parge intestine was normal, i dont have pain were they found this erosion, lower right side, is it possible i have crohns in my small intestine but an erosion in my terminal ileum is clean?
I guess i would suspect that if you have crohns wouldnt every erosion test positive for crohns or would some just be non specific?
I am 7 years into getting diagnosed and still no answers.
Anyone?

my little penguin

Staff member
To be clear
Some pathologist will only check the crohns box if they find non caseating granulomas present .
However only 30% of those with crohns actually have granulomas found on biopsy
Other pathologists use other criteria of inflammatory cells /changes etc.. and will mark crohns after talking to the Gi

crohns is patchy
It skips areas and affects other areas
You can have the pathology slides re read at another hospital if you have questions

To be clear
Some pathologist will only check the crohns box if they find non caseating granulomas present .
However only 30% of those with crohns actually have granulomas found on biopsy
Other pathologists use other criteria of inflammatory cells /changes etc.. and will mark crohns after talking to the Gi

crohns is patchy
It skips areas and affects other areas
You can have the pathology slides re read at another hospital if you have questions
I had a endoscopy last year after 7 years of gallbladder attacks, from what they saw everything else was normal other than infecting my pancreas and causing pancreatitis, i had an upper GI several months ago, had a lot of blood tests and stool tests, the only thing they found was excess blood in stool but they also found an erosion during the colonscopy, which they said was nomral and the biopsy said non specific, i have left sided pain almost at the edge of my body, i had a colonoscopy on may 10th got a letter from the hospital that said it was clean, my gastro doc has not called me in 3 months, i called and left a message now they are going to see me this week. my regular doc says they should do a capsule swallow test to see the rest of my small intestine, i basically only get pain when i sit down and some foods seem to trigger it also, i lost 80 pounds due to my gall bladder and pancreas going on for so long, my regular doc thinks it still could be crohns but when my gastro never did a follow up i figured i was done and its not crohns, i still have the pain but after what i been through i figure they think i am supposed to be in pain every night,