• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Can people with Crohns get a tattoo?!

I don't want to run the chance of making myself more sick but I really want a tattoo. I want to get a Crohns tattoo! But I just want to make sure it's safe and if others have tattoos also

If your immune system is affected by IBD treatment somehow, make sure to treat a tattoo like any other wound. Tattoos are like abrasions or burns, so if you get infections easily, be very careful.

my little penguin

Staff member
Depends>>>
on the meds your on and your past history etc....
Can you run it past your GP/GI?
I know for my kid it would be too risky- biologics + history of cellulitis

nogutsnoglory

You would need to discuss it with your doctor especially if you are on any drug that suppresses your immune system.

I would only goto a very reputable and sterile place and maybe take antibiotics for a while after, see what your doctor thinks.

rygon

A lot of people on this forum have had tattoos whilst being diagnosed with IBD. If you feel fine and your white blood count is good I cant see why not. As said have a word with your GI next time you see them and ask what they think

Make sure you go to a reputable tattooist and not some guy who once sawit done in prison

Also stars, tribal and dolphins are not cool anymore :p

A lot of people on this forum have had tattoos whilst being diagnosed with IBD. If you feel fine and your white blood count is good I cant see why not. As said have a word with your GI next time you see them and ask what they think

Make sure you go to a reputable tattooist and not some guy who once sawit done in prison

What about rainbows and marsh mellows? LOL

rygon

haha yeh theyre fine ;) I think if you see it on failblog website its something to avoid

I always laugh at this pic

I've been on immunosupressants for well over 10 years with remicade and then Humira and I have two tattoos. I made sure to wash it well and followed the instructions and they healed fine. Just make sure you go to a very sterile reputable place and make sure you take care of it.

I have several tattoos. One had some trouble healing so I had some patchy ink loss, but the rest have been fine. I wasn't on immunosuppressants at the time.

I have six tattoos no dramas with any of them, no special treatment for any of them. I wouldnt recommend getting them done in Bali or Malaysia, actually any country ending in sia to be honest.

No offence intended to any persons from any country ending in sia. Ive just noticed that what passes for sterile in one country isnt always what passes for sterile in another country.

I have multiple tattoos. I always get one when my CD is flaring. I've never had an issue. I once got a tattoo with a friend I met on another CD web forum. She flew from Canada to Los Angeles and we decided to get Crohn's tattoos together. It was a great experience. The bottom line is... if the tools are not sterile, you'll get an infection regardless of your CD.

Is this your first tattoo? If so, make sure to get a recommendation from someone who has tatts. If you're not comfortable with the artist, walk away. Obviously not all tattoo shops are the same. Also, not all ink is the same. You want to make sure you use a reputable shop.

Good luck!

What about a semicolon? (For project semicolon helping people with depression and suicidal tendencies to stay alive.)

I am on Humira for Crohn’. I don’t heal very fast and I bleed a lot. A paper cut looks like I cut my area off. I really want a tat. Would you recommend?