• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Can reintroducing carbs cause stomach upset?

I have been on a low-carb (SCD) diet for 3 months.

It didn't give me much relief, but I did feel an improvement after a recent shot of Stelara/Ustekinumab. As my weight was low I decided to stop the diet 5 days ago.

For the past few days I've had really foul gas, gut pain and diarrhoea. The high level of of pain and gas is new to me and I suspect it may be because of the reintroduction of carbs like grains, gluten and sugars.

Does this sound plausible?

Has anyone had an experience of bad health caused by reintroducing these food types?

I'm going to reintroduce foods slowly to see if it improve things.

Old thread, I know, but...
Different gut microbes digest different types of food. If you cut out a food group, those microbes die off. When you eat that food later, it doesn't get digested, and you have intestinal distress.

If you take antibiotics, much of the gut biome gets killed off, and you get diarrhea because nothing is digesting the food.

A lot of vegetarians have trouble digesting meat for the same reason.