• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Can somebody give me a hope?

Hello, everyone! My name is Mihaela and I am from Romania ( so, please excuse my bad English!!!). In my country Crohn's disease is not very known.I will tell you my husband's story about this "curse"...He worked in Spain since 2007 and in 2009-after he had small-pox, he started to feel very bad. In 2010 ( after 7 months of hospitalization) he was prognosticated with Crohn's disease and until October, 2012, he took all kind of medicines, including 1 year of Remicade. In January,2013 he had the first surgery and doctors removed him the ileum and 15 centimeters of his colon+colostomy until June 2013 when he suffered a new surgery. On 27th of December he did a occlusion and --- a new surgery on 30th of December and they removed 25 cm of his colon....After 5 days, on 4th of January ( 10 days ago) my husband did a peritonitis, so the doctors re-opened him again...and yesterday his surgeon told him that there is a virus in his large bowl, quite aggressive and they try to stop this virus using a very complex cocktail of antibiotics.although they administrate him antibiotics since 27th of December, today my husband's temperature was 40Cdegrees all day long...I forget to mention that he haven't eat/drink something since 20 of December. He is in a hospital in Spain, I am in Romania, he can't even answer the phone, because he's too weak...I please you, if you read/understand what I have written, answer me what should I wait! I am alone here and I am very, very scared about what it will happen! Maybe someone of you passed through something like my husband ( I hope nobody did...)

Sorry I don't have any advice, just wanted to let you know I'm
Thinking of you and your husband. I'm currently in hospital now, my only one piece of advice if I could offer any is to try and contact professor John Herman Taylor as you are in Europe, perhaps he will have some advice.

To be away from your loved one when they are suffering is horrible, I hope your husband begins to feel better. I also hope they you can find some support and answers here. Your husband is in the right place, being in hospital means he has the medical attention he needs and will hopefully begin healing. Make sure you decide where the right place for you is - in Romania you will hopefully have friends and family who can support you during this time. In Spain you can support your husband but you may find yourself without support yourself in a unfamiliar country. Ask if the hospital has a support network of any kind and they may also be able to help with temporary accommodation.

Did the doctors tell you what kind of virus they believe he has? If you know the name, someone here may have more information. Antibiotics are generally used for bacterial infections and not viruses which are viral infections, which does seem a little strange but this could be just a misunderstanding on my behalf. These medications can take some time to work in someone with a suppressed immune system, is your husband on any other medications besides antibiotics at the moment?

Finally it is probably best for him not to be eating or drinking (besides water) at the moment after the surgeries for his bowel and peritonitis his gastro system needs to rest, recover and adjust. He should be on TPN or other fluids.

I wish you both all the best!

Mihaela , I am so sorry your husband is going through all of this. We will keep him and you in our prayers.

Sorry I don't have any advice, just wanted to let you know I'm
Thinking of you and your husband. I'm currently in hospital now, my only one piece of advice if I could offer any is to try and contact professor John Herman Taylor as you are in Europe, perhaps he will have some advice.
Where can I find professor John Herman Taylor?I am very sorry you are in hospital now!Hope you'll recover as soon as possible!

To be away from your loved one when they are suffering is horrible, I hope your husband begins to feel better. I also hope they you can find some support and answers here. Your husband is in the right place, being in hospital means he has the medical attention he needs and will hopefully begin healing. Make sure you decide where the right place for you is - in Romania you will hopefully have friends and family who can support you during this time. In Spain you can support your husband but you may find yourself without support yourself in a unfamiliar country. Ask if the hospital has a support network of any kind and they may also be able to help with temporary accommodation.

Did the doctors tell you what kind of virus they believe he has? If you know the name, someone here may have more information. Antibiotics are generally used for bacterial infections and not viruses which are viral infections, which does seem a little strange but this could be just a misunderstanding on my behalf. These medications can take some time to work in someone with a suppressed immune system, is your husband on any other medications besides antibiotics at the moment?

Finally it is probably best for him not to be eating or drinking (besides water) at the moment after the surgeries for his bowel and peritonitis his gastro system needs to rest, recover and adjust. He should be on TPN or other fluids.

I wish you both all the best!
He was taken Azatioprine(50 mg), Predninsone (60 mg) and Fagyl since July.Right now , besides antibiotics, I don't know if they give him medications for Crohn's.They didn't tell us what kind of virus he has. But, as you say, I think is'a a bacteria taken from there.He didn't have such problems and doctors "found" the virus after they operated my husband 2 times- when he started to have high temperature.I don't know what to say...Yes,he is on TPN right now.
Thank you for your answer!