• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Can someone guide me??

Hi everyone,
I posted for the first time a few days ago about my new Crohn's diagnosis. I got a few replies (thank you so much to those who did!) and i am just starting this journey so I have so many questions. It is completely overwhelming! I ordered a book on Amazon about the first year of Crohn's and this is helping a bit, but I am only 1/2 way through so far. It is by Jill Sklar, anyone read it? It seems great so far although very scary at times to hear worst case scenarios. I have two children under 4 so I have no time to myself to read the book at the pace I would like to, or to go over this wonderful forum at length to educate myself and read all the stories everyone has posted. I guess I am just feeling completely alone and depressed. I want to learn more, I want to accept this is going to be my life but I am unsure where to start. I thought the book would be a good first step, kind of a comprehensive overview, ya know? I am meeting with my GI today to go over starting meds and a possible nutritionist referral so I can figure out what the heck to do for diet. Can someone guide me as to the most important places to start reading on this forum, so I can begin to have a basic understanding? As I said, I have limited 'me' time so I really need to practice time management. I cannot even begin to Google things, I know it will freak me out so I thought I would start with the book and the forum and go from there. Thanks in advance if you can give me any good starting point suggestions.

Gosh, Kelly, I was diagnosed so long ago that this forum wasn't around for me to tinker with. So I relied on my GI and an older woman that I worked with who also had Crohn's. But I will tell you, any questions you have, you can always post on here and you will get a ton of help.

Astra

Hiya Kelly

My advice would be to NOT read this book too much, one size does NOT fit all!
My other advice would be to use this forum, straight from the horse's mouth so to speak. You'll get a more diverse picture, different symptoms etc
Check out our diet and fitness forum, and the treatment section. Don't get too bogged down with info tho, this will scare you and make you anxious.
Firstly, take your guidance from the GI, then research his recommendations.
I believe time will help you to adjust to this diagnosis and over time you'll be your own health advocate.
Tiny steps, good luck
xxx

I am almost done with the book, skipping over the parts that don't apply to me...yet. I am still trying read through all this forum has to offer. Thank God I found it when I did.

sawdust

Hi KellyMom and welcome.

Astra pretty much said everything I was going to, so let me rephrase from my experience. When I first got diagnosed, I was feeling better and in remission from all the time that had passed while trying to figure out what was going on with me. When I got my Crohn's diagnosis, my doctor encouraged me to put the effort into me, by keeping a food diary, reading up on the disease, determining which outlets I liked for support, and figuring how all this relates to my case specifically. I feigned a smile, nodded my head, and summarily ignored this advice, skipping off into the sunshine. I wish I had listened.

Now that I can look back years later, I can see where that would have been solid advice I should have heeded, with one caveat: make sure what you research has some credibility. The internet has so much garbage. Don't let yourself be scared by what may or may not be true. That's why I love this forum. It's patient-focused, so I can really relate, and the moderation team doesn't allow that other internet crap to happen. If you hang out here much, you'll see after a while what happens to posts where people want to make unfounded, weird claims that might harm others, or where they just really want to sell something. :eek:

EDIT: I never finished that thought. Do this legwork before you get need the answers you don't have, if that makes sense. Otherwise, my doctor always tells me that if he and I are doing a good job together, there's no reason I can't and shouldn't be able to do important life things, like have a career, etc.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Check out the Success Stories subforum found here: http://www.crohnsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=72 Here you can see people who are currently in remission and their stories on how they achieved it.

Less stress is better so limit your time online and try your best not to worry when you read something unsettling. Ask away. How did your GI appointment go and what medications are you on?

Thanks! See, I didn't even notice a success sub-forum so thank you for pointing it out! I think when I log on, there are just SO many things to click on that look helpful, I get overwhelmed. I will definitely check in there. I could use some good positive info. right now. Thanks again!