• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Can you drink alcohol while taking prednisone?

I just started on Prednisone (40mg) today. I am all set to have dinner with some friends tonight and I was wondering if there would be any ill effects if I had a few drinks with dinner. Does anyone have experience with this?

I was fine having a drink (even a few drinks!!) no side effects at all, depends on what your tolerance to alcohol is like though as your liver has to break down both... if your eating it with dinner you'll prob be grand .

I was on pred at uni and would try drinking like normal, but could never get drunk or feel the effects of alcohol. It was rubbish, but I could out drink anyone lol!. I didn't bother for long though, seemed a waste of money.

Toni x

Thank you everyone!!! It's good to know this illness won't hinder my chance to have a few drinks every once in a while!!

When I was on prednisone, it alcohol did make me flushed though, and that has never happened when I was not on it. Can make it hard to have good night out when you look like that.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
I always get flushed when I drink. Maybe I have some sort of allergic reaction. I never had a problem drinking while on Prednisone either. I was also drinking people under the table. :p

Where are you getting that information from?
It's never worsened my symptoms, and anything I've read says that it has not been proven that in general, alcohol will worsen the symptoms of IBD. I do understand, however, that for some people it will worsen their symptoms.

Alcohol effects the mucosal layers of the gut, which are compromised to begin with in most IBD patients. Not to mention it is no good for your immune system, which if you are on prednisone or any other type of immunospuressant is just bad. Alcohol cause spasms in your bowels. Increases your risk for cancer, especially if your taking an anti-TNF like remicade or humira. And as your emotions can become unstable on prednisone (prednisone induced psychosis, anxiety and depression) adding alcohol to the mix is bad.

Im not anti alcohol mind you, but you asked

And medical marijuana isnt legal for some reason....