• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Can you feel your food in your guts after you eat?

So the other day I was talking to my husband and telling him that even though I am doing extremely well right now I feel like I will never be normal. He asked why.

I asked him if he can feel his food after he eats...He was kind of puzzled and said "what do yo mean?" I said "can you feel your food going through your intestines after you eat...like any feeling at all?" He said no not at all, why? I explained to him that after I eat my intestines like kind of hurt or at least feel like something is scraping through them. He was like "really?!?" He thought I only had pain when I was flaring and it was all the time or nothing. I told him I can't even remember the last time I ate and didn't have that feeling...now I wonder if I have felt that my whole life. It's just so normal to me now.

Is this feeling I get common with all Crohn's/UC sufferers? Is it only due to where the disease is right now? I have it only in the large intestine.

Just wondering your thoughts or experiences...as I sit here about a half hour after eating breakfast and feel my food passing through.

Yes, I know exactly what you mean. I do feel the same, the only time I didn't feel the food passing through was when I first was on prednisolone and was completely symptom free for the first time of many many years, after being diagnosed. It just lasted a few days, then I had to taper down the cortisone and I felt "as usual". I asked my family as well whether they feel any food passing through and, of course, they denied and I was very surprised. It seems as if we who have Crohn's, especially in the small intestine, are much more sensitive concerning any stimulus from the lumen of the intestine.
Would you consider yourself being in remission? I've never been in remission since being diagnosed so I don't know if I will always stay that sensitive.

Yay it's not just me! I can feel the food moving from my stomach through the upper part of my small intestine. And then bubbling and gurgling let's me feel where the food is further along. Haha so much fun!

Yes, I am in remission. All blood work has been normal for a year, symptoms at a minimum for about 4 years, no diarrhea. I have had a flare almost every year though, but my GI still says I am in a remission. He said remission doesn't necessarily mean total absence of symptoms but more management of the disease with normal blood work and normal, regular bowel movements. My normal right now is 1-2 times a day...formed or soft, but not watery. I go for a colonoscopy next month so he can look at how much inflammation I have and where. I just learned that even in remission you can still have a lot of inflammation. Such a strange, complicated disease. I too was shocked my husband said no feeling of food passing.

My food most likely is creating some of the feelings in my digestive system, but I can't identify which feelings are caused by the food moving along since there are so many more pains and bubbles and feelings of pressure and general discomfort going on constantly whether I've eaten or not. :(

Wow! I thought I was the only one. Even my doctors look at me like I have lost my mind when I try to explain this feeling. So so very glad to learn that it's not just in my head. Lol :) This has made my day.