• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Can you flare while taking Prednisone?

Can you have a flare up even when on Prednisone? I feel a flare up coming on and I am taking Asacol and Prednisone currently.

hia,
i had a flare which started in september. i have been put on pred and it has not cleared the problem. it is possible that as you taper off or if you are on a lower dose of pred, you can have symptoms/flare.
xxx

Hi :)
I'm on a reducing dose of prednisolone at the moment and I am also starting to get some symptoms back :( ...
You're not alone! :)

SarahBear

Hi, tlc!

You can definitely flare while you're on Prednisone, especially if you're reducing the dosage. This would usually mean that Prednisone was reducing the inflammation, but the Crohn's is still active. Are you tapering? How long have you been on Asacol?

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Even with high doses of Prednisone its possible that it wont be enough to get the inflammation under control. This happened to me before my resection. I was on Asacol, 6MP, Prednisone and Entocort. All of those combined did not get it under control. Its possible that something like Humira or Remicade could have helped but they weren't around back then. Hope you can get it under control soon. :)

What dose of Prednisone are you on currently and how long have you been taking it, also what dose did you start at?

I am currently on 20 mg down from just 30. I also am taking 800mg of Asacol and am very newly diagnosed. Maybe it is just a matter of tweaking my meds? It is just very frustrating. I also feel like I may have C-diff again. I am not currently on an antibiotic but did recently stop taking vancomycin to treat the c-diff. I am just freaked out because I am not the knowledgeable yet to the disease, so I am trying to figure out what warrants for going to the hospital and what doesn't, I don't want to look like an idiot

My symptoms improved on prednisone, but I was by no means back to normal. I don't know if there was still inflamation, but I did wonder whether some of my digestive symptoms were not due to Crohn's. I've been diagnosed with delayed stomach emptying, and have had some problems with my rectum that are unrelated to Crohn's, so I figured even if I wasn't flaring, I'm never going to have good digestion.

It is possible that prednisone hasn't got your Crohn's completely under control, but another possibility may be digestive problems from a different cause. I find it very hard to determine which symptoms are due to which problem sometimes!

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Might be best to at least keep your GI posted whenever your symptoms change. This way they can adjust your treatment plan to hopefully get you back on track and towards remission.

You know your body best so if the symptoms are scary or if you have pain or discomfort that you can't handle then you would not be an idiot if you went to the hospital. What are your symptoms right now?

Prednisolone is great for getting symptoms under control if you take enough to start with (quick fix). Problem is as soon as you taper off they can come back very quickly, I hate taking steroids I feel they are only masking the symptoms plus you've got to deal with the side effects I really struggle to sleep on them and have massive mood swings. I wish you a speedy recovery :)