• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Can you go alone to CT Scan with Barium

B

btcrv

Hi everyone,

I have been in remission for quite a while since I had surgery last summer. I am going for a CT scan tomorrow and have to drink the barium.

I have never had any tests like that as an outpatient. Will I be OK to go alone or do I need to have someone go with me?

Thanks,

Brandi

P

punky_liz

I think you should be okay to go alone. Your situation may be different then mine, but I had a CT last August and I went alone. I met with my mom at the hospital but that was just because she works there. They should tell you if you needed to have someone come with you. I'm sorry you have to drink that crap, I mean barium.
Good luck!

B

Bananasplit22

ugh, i don't think barium even tastes like chalk, its worse!! but anyway, good luck!!! and no i don't think you need someone with you..maybe for moral support heheh...
good luck :thumleft: hope all goes well

V

Valentina

my sister came with me, but I ended up driving home anyways. I was ok. but I know a few people who got pretty ill after, I guess we are all different. good luck!

mikeyarmo

Co-Founder
I think you could do the barium swallow alone, but it is always safer to have someone else there. You never know what can happen after drinking the barium (as some people on here will surely tell you) but the choice is up to you.

C

Caroline

good luck with your test! someone once told me if you think about food or look at pictures of it it helps the barium travel quicker and the test goes faster, but thats sort of torture!

J

JennaBean1714

Its ok to go alone. Word of advice though, stick the straw as far back down your throat as you can so u don't taste it. And if they offer to add a flavoring turn it down!! It tastes much worse with flavor!!

K

Kate

If you are getting the contrasting dye injected into you i wouldnt go alone cause it took me a day to come compley right after it. Best of luck hun (((((((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

I have told my doc I wont be doing barium or drinking anything else that tastes bad. I have done all these damn tests and they are all a freakin nightmare, i just end up throwing it all up all over the place.

AND it never really helped anything. So why bother?

Anyway...I am glad it went well for you. These tests can be worse than the disease sometimes.

K

k-t

You should be ok to go on your own for this!!!

Though the barium is eww but good luck with it!!

Ktxx

J

JennaBean1714

I have gotten 4 barium tests. In all of them I can see the spots in the ileum that are inflammed and they tell me that it doesn't confirm anything because its just a possibility that the dye didn't stick!!...Good Luck to you! And whatever you do avoid an enteroclysis!! (They inject dye in barium through a tube that goes up ur nose, down your throat, and into ur small intestine)

JennaBean1714 said:
And whatever you do avoid an enteroclysis!! (They inject dye in barium through a tube that goes up ur nose, down your throat, and into ur small intestine)
That sounds very un pleasant! Is that an alternative to drinking it, or for another test?

B

Bananasplit22

is that like an NG tube? i've heard that that's an alternative, and i've actually heard that it's better than drinking the awful stuff ( which made me throw up =[ ). and i was told it just goes into your nose and throat, not into the intestine..?